converting linear velocity to angular velocity

THE title of this thread might appear to be quite misleading or something, but i did not know how best to put it though.

now here is a situation:

a dead weight weighing 10 kg has been hoisted up to a certain height, by a rope and pulley mechanism. it is then made to remain hanging there, by tying the other end of the rope to some support.

now if all of a sudden, if the other end of the rope was released, causing the weight to fall freely, and dragging the rope with it, through the pulley, then what would be the rpm of the rotating pulley ?

by using the formulas of potential and kinetic energies, the velocity of the falling weight can be determined. now how do i use this to find the rotational speed of the pulley

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Assuming that the rope is inelastic, there is no slip between the rope and the pulley, and the pulley is frictionless, the speed of the weight is given by:
    V=0.5 g t^2.
    RPM = V/(pi X d) d is the pulley diameter
    This means that the pulley RPM continuously increases.
    Atwood's Machine demonstrates this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    We had this in our high school.
    Personally this experiment was the one that made me decide on a research career in 1953.
  • MURTUZA ZAVERI
    MURTUZA ZAVERI
    thankyou Ramani sir
  • MURTUZA ZAVERI
    MURTUZA ZAVERI
    A.V.Ramani
    Assuming that the rope is inelastic, there is no slip between the rope and the pulley, and the pulley is frictionless, the speed of the weight is given by:
    V=0.5 g t^2.
    RPM = V/(pi X d) d is the pulley diameter
    This means that the pulley RPM continuously increases.
    Atwood's Machine demonstrates this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    We had this in our high school.
    Personally this experiment was the one that made me decide on a research career in 1953.
    sir,

what about the units of the formulas you just provided.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    V - velocity m/sec
    t - time from start in seconds
    g - acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/sec^2
    d - diameter in m
    Pi - 3.1416
  • MURTUZA ZAVERI
    MURTUZA ZAVERI
    thanx again sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I am student of engineering and want to do higher degree course from the IITs. I am confused which is the better option for me to get into IITs,...
Panasonic has officially unveiled a new smartphone device, P55 Max, in the affordable budget bracket with the price tag of Rs. 8,499. The new handset features a 5.5-inch IPS display...
Since the beginning of this year we have been seeing a flurry of Redmi phones in the market. First it was the Redmi Note 4, followed by the Redmi 4A...
I want to fabricate drone which can weigh 600 kgs with minimum cost. Can anyone provide me the drone specifications and some ideas I want to optimize it.
Now that you're reading this and I have your attention, I want you to look at how the media is manipulating you. I'm already sick of seeing posts on the...