Confusion in choosing the Industry to work

hello CEan's ,

I have done vth my B.Tech. in Comp. Science stream. Presently working in a telecom company as a switch engineer but Offrole Emp.(G.E.T.). But not satisfied with the salary and the work. The main purpose of coming to the telecom is " i dont have eligible percentage in my B.Tech. (<60%)".
I'm not able to decide wether to continue here or to move to s/w.

Pls suggest me a best career option.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kiran1905411
    hello CEan's ,

I have done vth my B.Tech. in Comp. Science stream. Presently working in a telecom company as a switch engineer but Offrole Emp.(G.E.T.). But not satisfied with the salary and the work. The main purpose of coming to the telecom is " i dont have eligible percentage in my B.Tech. (<60%)".
    I'm not able to decide wether to continue here or to move to s/w.

Pls suggest me a best career option.
    Computer Science engineer working in telecom company as a switch engineer sounds bit odd to me. However, if you've made up your mind to make a switch you will need to equip yourself with the following -

1. Expert-level knowledge of a specialized domain in Software [ Ex. Java, .Net, Scripting, Networking & Administration Software Quality Engineering etc]. It should be based on the field of your interest. If you want to 'code' - then you'll have to be exceptional in coding. If you want to be into QA - you'll need excellence in QA.

2. Strong reasoning for making a switch - you'll definitely be grilled by interviewers about making a switch.

3. Some experience in Software Domain.

Suggested Approach:

Instead of trying for well-known companies and getting rejected because of non-relevant experience; I'd suggest you to join a start-up or a smaller company. Smaller companies would care less about your work-experience and focus on your knowledge. However, before you start applying, you'll need to dedicate at least 3 months of well-disciplined study to build your skills in your preferred domain. It would be easier for you to find a job in a smaller company - but you may have to give up on your 'big salary' dreams for a while (in your starting days). Gain about 6 months - 1 year of experience working on real-life projects and then apply to relatively bigger companies.

You have not mentioned how many years of experience you have at present. I assumed you've less than 3 years of experience and posted my response.

However, you may also consider continuing in current field. Typically, if the reason to make a switch is Salary then it's better to look for other company and trying to acquire complementary skills in the same domain. That way, you can always take advantage of your current work experience. I'd strongly advise you to find out why you need to make a switch and the next career you're choosing is ideal for you or not. Software industry, especially in India, has thousands of frustrated engineers who are caught up in the wrong job. They chose to work in software just because they get 'A/C Offices' and 'Onsite Opportunities'.

Make a wise decision.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    The_Big_K
    Computer Science engineer working in telecom company as a switch engineer sounds bit odd to me. However, if you've made up your mind to make a switch you will need to equip yourself with the following -

1. Expert-level knowledge of a specialized domain in Software [ Ex. Java, .Net, Scripting, Networking & Administration Software Quality Engineering etc]. It should be based on the field of your interest. If you want to 'code' - then you'll have to be exceptional in coding. If you want to be into QA - you'll need excellence in QA.

2. Strong reasoning for making a switch - you'll definitely be grilled by interviewers about making a switch.

3. Some experience in Software Domain.

Suggested Approach:

Instead of trying for well-known companies and getting rejected because of non-relevant experience; I'd suggest you to join a start-up or a smaller company. Smaller companies would care less about your work-experience and focus on your knowledge. However, before you start applying, you'll need to dedicate at least 3 months of well-disciplined study to build your skills in your preferred domain. It would be easier for you to find a job in a smaller company - but you may have to give up on your 'big salary' dreams for a while (in your starting days). Gain about 6 months - 1 year of experience working on real-life projects and then apply to relatively bigger companies.

You have not mentioned how many years of experience you have at present. I assumed you've less than 3 years of experience and posted my response.

However, you may also consider continuing in current field. Typically, if the reason to make a switch is Salary then it's better to look for other company and trying to acquire complementary skills in the same domain. That way, you can always take advantage of your current work experience. I'd strongly advise you to find out why you need to make a switch and the next career you're choosing is ideal for you or not. Software industry, especially in India, has thousands of frustrated engineers who are caught up in the wrong job. They chose to work in software just because they get 'A/C Offices' and 'Onsite Opportunities'.

Make a wise decision.

thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How come one of the interesting topic is not even opened ! [FONT="]The external loads cause tension in the bottom fibres which may lead to cracking, as shown. Reinforced concrete...
Happy Birthday dude! Enjoy! 🎉 :myparty:
Hi everyone,😛😁 I want to do my final year project on GSM BTS related field😁. I have no idea about my topic. please help me out providing project topic examples...
can anyboby tell me that which english book is good for the company recruitment paper& for other competitive exam
can anybody please explain regrding 'career growth in telecom testing' ??