computational fluid dynamics

can anyone explain?

Replies

• jignesah.j
    jignesah.j
    CFD is predicting what will happen, quantitatively, when fluids flow, often with the complications of:
    • simultaneous flow of heat,
      [*]mass transfer
      (eg perspiration, dissolution),
      [*]phase change
      (eg melting, freezing, boiling),
    • chemical reaction (eg combustion, rusting),
      [*]mechanical
      movement (eg of pistons, fans, rudders),
      [*]stresses
      in and displacement of immersed or surrounding solids.
    Knowing how fluids will flow, and what will be their quantitative effects on the solids with which they are in contact, assists:-
    • building-services engineers and architects to provide comfortable and safe human environments;
    • power-plant designers to attain maximum efficiency, and reduce release of pollutants;
    • chemical engineers to maximize the yields from their reactors and processing equipment;
    • land-, air- and marine-vehicle designers to achieve maximum performance, at least cost;
    • risk-and-hazard analysts, and safety engineers, to predict how much damage to structures, equipment, human beings, animals and vegetation will be caused by fires, explosions and blast waves.
    CFD-based flow simulations enable:-
    • metropolitan authorities need to determine where pollutant-emitting industrial plant may be safely located, and under what conditions motor-vehicle access must be restricted so as to preserve air quality;
    • meteorologists and oceanographers to foretell winds and water currents; - hydrologists and others concerned with ground-water to forecast the effects of changes to ground-surface cover, of the creation of dams and aquaducts on the quantity and quality of water supplies;
    • petroleum engineers to design optimum oil-recovery strategies, and the equipment for putting them into practice;
    • ... and so on.
    Within a few years, it is to be expected, surgeons will conduct operations which may affect the flow of fluids within the human body (blood, urine, air, the fluid within the brain) only after their probable effects have been predicted by CFD methods
  • gohm
    gohm
    jignesah.j gave you a great little intro into cfd. Did you have a specific question, it's kind of a broad category to discuss cfd in entirety. For some futher readingtry these for starters:

CFD Online
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    the esi group
    #-Link-Snipped-# for further intro information

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TO BE OR NOT TO BE, THAT IS THE QUESTION????? Conflict is a part of human structure, and there is no end to the feeling of “TO BE OR NOT...
Guys, Whats the difference between a 'SubWoofer' and a 'Woofer' ? - Question by : YourTechMate.Blogspot.com
There are many possible speaker box designs available like Bass Reflex System, Infinite Baffle, Passive Radiator, Band Pass and Dipole speakers system. I am aiming to obtain maximum Bass output...
hello all you out there , i am looking for people who have a knowledge in electronics and would really like to help me out. i am doing mechanical engineering...
CEans, I want to know what you all think about adding social networking features on CrazyEngineers. Following are the social networking features:- 1. Ability to authorize friends. 2. Ability to...