Complicated F1 Steering wheel

A modern F1 car is the most technologically sophisticated race car on the planet, so naturally it’s got an equally complex steering wheel that jammed with enough switches and dials to make an airline pilot cross-eyed. Here’s a breakdown of the controls F1 drivers constantly adjust—while battling other cars at 200 mph.
[​IMG]
01. BOOST: F1 cars have an electric-hybrid system known as KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) that regenerates braking energy, then boosts acceleration—at the push of a button—via an 80-hp electric motor. Another feature that increases speed is the movable rear wing that flattens to reduce drag. The wing is controlled by a foot pedal.
02. LAP TIME: Shows the lap time.
03. HARVEST :Regulates the amount of energy "harvested" during braking. The regen system can alter the feel of the brakes, and because these guys drive with exacting precision, they're picky about tactile feedback. This knob lets them customize.
04. DOWNSHIFT PADDLE: Lowers the gear.
05. MIX :Adjusts the engine's air—fuel mixture to balance power and fuel economy. F1 cars don't refuel during a race, but economy is still vital—fuel adds weight.
06. BITE POINT: The race start is critical because the cars begin from a stop and the initial sprint is a prime overtaking opportunity. The bite point adjusts how the clutch engages as the drivers release the paddle, so they can execute a perfect launch.
07. BPF: During practice starts, the driver uses the "bite point find" to record the clutch behavior. Engineers use the data to instruct the driver where to set the bite point dial.
08. CLUTCH PADDLE: To use before shifting gears.
09. BBAL:
Displays the front—rear brake balance, a critical adjustment that drivers make to fine-tune the braking performance. Most passes are done in the braking zones.
10. REVERSE GEAR: To take reverse.
11. SHIFT LIGHTS: Shifting the visibility of light.
12. LIMITER: Restricts the car's speed to the pit-lane limit, 62 mph.
13. ENGINE PARAMETERS: Speed, fuel level etc.
14. UPSHIFT PADDLE: To increase gears.
15. TORQUE » The 2.4-liter V8 revs to 18,000 rpm and delivers north of 700 hp. That's a handful in a 1400-pound car, so the drivers use this knob to adjust the engine's torque curve, depending on track conditions.
16. TYRE Teams use roughly half a dozen different tires that vary in construction and diameter. This dial tells the computer which tires are fitted so it can calculate wheel speed.
17. CLUTCH PADDLE
18. DIFFERENTIAL :
The characteristics of the rear differential can be tailored for corner entry, midpoint and exit—each with 12 settings.

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Wow !!

😲

Nice post mate !!

I never imagined that there's so much stuff in just steering wheels of F1 Cars
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    So it looks like only experts would love to handle the stuffs like this.I hardly imagine the life of an race driver and it would be a tough job to do.With all tension,and stress he has to concentrate the steering, and all sorts of button.Oh god it just resembles the airplane controller.The driver has to be a magician to operate this vimana.....
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    So it looks like only experts would love to handle the stuffs like this.I hardly imagine the life of an race driver and it would be a tough job to do.With all tension,and stress he has to concentrate the steering, and all sorts of button.Oh god it just resembles the airplane controller.The driver has to be a magician to operate this vimana.....

But there's a saying,

Practice makes a man perfect
    so, when they are used to it, I'm sure, they enjoy the ride and the competition. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When I was surfing over the Internet I found this information to be shocking and I want to start a good debate over this topic,Yes its all about our efforts...
howdie CEAN's...can you recommend good projects for agriculture??This is our theme for our thesis..thank you very much
All would have their own wish and just post in your suggestions and your wish that your future car should possess.First it may like a dumb idea on the title...
The console wars are on and the console makers are trying hard to woo the customers even before the launch. Microsoft has officially confirmed that XBOX One supports up to...
Hello Since most of us face problem often with different compilers like Turbo C3 and others, specially on a Windows Machine, I would like to tell you about the CODE...