Choosing a microcontroller for a project.

Ok basically the 3 of us are from the IT department, not engineering so although we know some basic electronics we've never really worked with microcontrollers before. We are looking for either a kit or at least a set of instructions.

It needs to be able to be controlled from a computer at all times. Either serial or USB will do. It also needs to be able to control roughly 2000 LEDs, varying their intensity independently. From what I've read this can be cut down into <100 channels by using a grid coordinates system. As for varying intensity I'm not sure whether this requires anything special or not.

Essentially this is a 32x20 pixel screen.

Again we really don't know much apart from what we've read on the internet in the last few days.

Here is one that caught our eye although we have no clue as to how appropriate this is.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks in Advance,
AMAF.

Replies

• icehari
    icehari
    contact the articles writer of the website from which you have read.. you have got a forum in that website also post some questions in that too..

you will soon find the answer..
  • SAI008
    SAI008
    Hai Amaf,

To select a microcontroller, first go through its data sheet, select the microcontroller according to program which you will be writing on it ,and be specific about your requirements. post it here .I will surely help you in finding an appropriate one
  • amaf
    amaf
    Thanks SAI008 but I'm not sure what other information I need to provide you. Essentially I just want to be able to control the brightness of a lot of leds from a computer.
  • SAI008
    SAI008
    hmmmm ok ,have you heard about charlieplexing , using charlieplexing we can control N*(N-1) leds with N microcontrller pins.....
    thus reducing the pin count needed

and multiplexing LEDs we can control any number which u dream of
    but if u want to control more leds with less pins
    the frequency of ur MCU has to be increased
    ...google it to get relevant information and atmega6450 is an apt microcontroller..but will u be able to get that and do u know abt its programmer ? these are next questions to be answered ..ok and Pls do go thrgh interfacing protocols of computer (parallel or serial) and also go thrgh datasheet of the microcontroller ..if any query post it here ...and sry for late post

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    a long time ago i come to know about such LED display screen but as said by the SAI008 you have to reduce the pin count if you are going to use charlieplexing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can u tell me where can i go to attend seminars in india? i also wanted 2 knw where can i join to participate in projects?
Here is a game where you need to program a robot to pick up all stars on a game board. You need to use concepts like functions, conditionals and recursion....
Name: Arvind Kumar *Engineering Trade: Btech CSE Location: Chennai (India) *Occupation: Working as a Tutor for C++ in PERI software soln., Work Experience: Have an year experience in ALLSEC (call...
hi i am incredibly new to this so please don't kill me but i am trying to find any and all information on how to build a windhexe now most...
what are the difficulties in car when it is drived on solar system?