Career Insight: Profession Vs Passion - Need your help!

Hi Guys,

I've completed B.E.-E.C.E last year, and I'm working in the VoIP field as a Network Operations Centre Engineer (N.O.C) for the past 10 months.

I was also on the lookout for higher studies (MS) for the past few months, but after figuring out the huge expense it would leave behind, I'm in a dilemma. There's of course a pressure from my parents about my higher education as they don't want me to keep 'wasting' my time working. They now hope I'll learn M.Tech, but I don't think it'll do me any good right now.

I've got a passion for websites and designing and am planning to do a web-designing course for 3 months. I'm often involved with photoshop and web related work at the office even-though I'm a N.O.C Engineer (and they don't pay me anything extra for my efforts) - I do it because it gives me an inner satisfaction.

Should I continue with my passion and learn more about it and make it my profession, or should I just hope to get a better career in networking with some experience?

-Anoop

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    There's of course a pressure from my parents about my higher education as they don't want me to keep 'wasting' my time working. They now hope I'll learn M.Tech, but I don't think it'll do me any good right now.
    This is interesting. Why do your parents think that you're wasting your time in the current job? Is that your feeling as well? Are you satisfied with your current job?

Also, what's the purpose of opting for higher education?

Shifting from Networking field to Web could be tricky. If you like your current job, I'd say keep doing the web related work part time for the next 2-3 years. If it stays with you and you make good progress in it you can think of making a career in it.

Your passion may not always turn into your profession. So, keep working on it in your free time, on weekends, holidays etc. and keep progressing. One time will come when you'll be 100% clear about making your passion your profession.

Regarding the higher studies - It's worthless without a 100% clear purpose.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is interesting. Why do your parents think that you're wasting your time in the current job? Is that your feeling as well? Are you satisfied with your current job?

Also, what's the purpose of opting for higher education?
    According to my parents, I do not earn well (although I stay in Kerala itself - just 3 hours away from home). I'm fine at workplace, but this I feel is a medium level job and I have got to pull myself forward to develop my career and support my family.

Going abroad to a good university is a good deal if you have those extra bucks to spare for education. Opportunities seem to improve as well. That's why I feel MS is better than MTech.

Shifting from Networking field to Web could be tricky. If you like your current job, I'd say keep doing the web related work part time for the next 2-3 years. If it stays with you and you make good progress in it you can think of making a career in it.

Your passion may not always turn into your profession. So, keep working on it in your free time, on weekends, holidays etc. and keep progressing. One time will come when you'll be 100% clear about making your passion your profession.
    I agree!

Regarding the higher studies - It's worthless without a 100% clear purpose.
    There's a clear purpose with going abroad for studies - it improves chances of settling down as soon as possible - make money! It's going to take time to get there on my own.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Catch Notes app is going to shut down by August 30. Catch Notes did not get the expected user base that it aimed for and that has led them to...
As most of us will be aware, every SQL query has an explain plan that lists out the steps that Oracle is going to take in order to execute the...
When you work on large volumes of data, it becomes very important that you write your queries in the most optimized way possible. As a bad query can delay your...
The current job scenario is such that several above 80% candidates are unable to land up on jobs. What adds more weight age to our resume now a days? Will...
Not sure whether I am allowed to post my blog here. I hope that's fine. https://www.thinknonsense.com/bb/2013/08/03/my-rants-about-god/ Comments welcomed.