Career in Marketing For Engineers

A paragraph from a book called Inside the Tornado by Geoffrey A. Moore goes as follow:

Marketing, in the engineering universe, is that place where the laws of utility are suspended. They are of two minds about this. On the one hand, if painting the product red sells more product, by all means paint it red. On the other hand, since there is no rational cause operating here, you cannot trust marketing, as anyone can see for themselves, since sometimes when they paint it red, it does not sell more. So marketing is essentially voodoo. It is for flakes. It is not a real discipline. It is a con job.
A lot has been said about how engineers view marketing as a career.
See a blog post here : #-Link-Snipped-#

What do you think about this? Would you do a marketing job or should engineers stick to the technical field?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Students from around the world who wish to study in Australia can now use their TOEFL test scores as part of their visa application as announced by Australia's Department of...
Mark Zuckerberg - when he's not building Facebook - likes to give himself personal challenges to "learn something about the world, expand my interests and teach myself greater discipline, he...
Here are some topics I know : 1 Is group discussion necessary for the elimination process 2 Who is responsible for the protection of the environment? 3 Retirement age of...
Most of us are fed up and tired just by completing graduation... but I have something else in mind... i.e. to go for higher studies.. 😀 I would like to...
Hi to all Crazy Engineers, Can anyone suggest me a good Cross platform javascript framework for mobile application development. There are a lot available. But confused to choose. (PhoneGap/Jquery/Titanium/.............)