Can anyone recommend a lightweight firewall for Windows XP?

Hey CEans!
I'm maintaining an old compaq laptop of mine by trying to use lean applications on the computer. I've recently upgraded its hard disk (from 20gb to 120gb), but the memory ram (at 384mb) is the same as the modules still relatively expensive.

Can anyone suggest a good lightweight firewall for windows? I'm using Comodo firewall for the family computer, which is pretty kick a** (despite the warning prompts that keep on annoying my family members, haha). But its a little too CPU intensive for my laptop, cause I tend to run quite a number of engineering applications in parallel. At times I had to disable it completely.

I know, perhaps I should have installed Linux and stuff, but Im really not bothered to deal with the compatibility issues with the engineering software yet ๐Ÿ˜› But since I still have the OEM license from the initial laptop purchase, might as well keep on using XP. I think its is still a pretty good workhorse.

So CEans, any worthy recommendations? ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ash, I've heard good reviews about ZoneAlarm. I had tride it years ago and it was good.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Years ago? ๐Ÿ˜› The free version isnt so good now, unlike the paid version.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, years ago. I currently rely on Windows firewall ๐Ÿ˜ .
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Ash, I've heard good reviews about ZoneAlarm. I had tried it years ago and it was good.
    I have used both the trial as well as Paid version of ZoneAlarm... and didn't like it.
    For free version I will advice AVG and for paid.. Norton... again this is my personal experience.

-CrazyBoy
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    AVG firewall? hmm.. if you mean antivirus, I'm currently using that anyway.

Two good free firewalls are the Comodo Firewall (beats even the paid ones) and the Sunbelt Kerio Firewall. You guys should check them out!

I'm testing out the Sunbelt firewall at the moment. Seems alright so far.. Though I was hoping there was a more bare bones yet strong and user friendly firewall out there.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Kerio is a great firewall if your machine is not the high end ones.
  • arunbasillal
    arunbasillal
    I recommend Comodo. Its bit CPU intensive as you said, but its serving as a firewall and a part anti-virus for me. SO i have just that on my system.
    Well, you better configure Comodo well so that i does not annoys your family. Its notifications are too much.

AVG Antivirus is really Good. Thats the best that I ever had, but now my license expired
  • vijayrock
    vijayrock
    Comodo firewall..its a good bet
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Title: Networking Interest: I m planning 2 make an application which will automatically switch on-off the switch if there is no traffic on switch.......This is an idea which i have...pls...
i know this thread is been discussed before..but i would like 2 add that instead of bluetooth if we use wi-fi...cos now-a-days many mobiles hav wi-fi...and an application even on...
Dilbert lovers - Check out Dilbet TV series available on YouTube. All you have to do is Search for "Dilbert 1x01" , the "Dilber 1x02" etc. Then continue with "Dilbert...
I'm looking for mini projects in mechanical engineering. Can you give me some mini project topics?๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜€
This has got to be one of the cleverest E-mails in a while. Someone out there either has too much spare time or is deadly at [FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Trebuchet MS,Sans-Serif,Georgia,Courier,Times New Roman,Serif][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Trebuchet...