Can acceleration-only measurement tell the health of a bridge?

This article claims that the structural health of a bridge can be evaluated based only on acceleration (vibration) measurement. 

“Can bridge collapses be prevented by continuous structural monitoring?” https://link.medium.com/PzpB0IlopS

This would definitely solve a lot of cost issues about monitoring a large number of existing ageing bridges. But the key question here is if it is actually possible to determine the health based solely on acceleration measurement. Sure, operational modal analysis can be done. Modal shapes obtained, natural frequency determined. Velocity and disolacement of oscillation  can be integrated and observes. But to get stiffness, you would have to know what is the actual load that gives you certain displacement and the load (excitation) is difficult to measure (varying traffic, wind etc.). 

I surely think it is good to gather the data, but can someone with more experience in the field elaborate on the feasibility of the idea? If we could get rid of strain gauges, fbgs etc, it would be a dream come true for structural monitoring engineers.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The weather is getting colder and colder. Chongqing Feilong reminds you to add clothes and keep warm. In winter, there must be warm air in the car, so will it...
I have John Deere technical interview in a couple of days, on what areas do I  need to concentrate? My branch is Mechatronics.
We are planning to take KT from another organization and they have provided KT plan. In that KT plan, there is one task is playback session so I want to...
I got 60% in 10th and 59% in my 12th and 75% in B.tech. Recently I got offer letter from TCS. I submitted my documents at the time of registration...
I have completed my engg in electrical stream in 2018 only & working in L&T automation as an Jr. project engg. But here it is just an office work. I...