Book On Algorithms Using C++

Please suggest me a good , easy to learn (and also available in market) book on algorithms using c++, which can help me in competitive programming.

Replies

• simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    I can suggest the following approach:

1)Get a book on language, If you are learning C++, I advocate Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel.
    Study the book and concepts of language for about a month, by this I think you can atleast write simple programs.
    2)After your one month on C++, get a book on data-structures and algorithms, I advocate data-structures and algorithms, by andrew tannenbum study this book and make sure you understand concept of stacks,queues,linked-lists,trees,hash-tables they are quiet often used.
    I assume you could grasp like a normal programmer, and this would take more 2 months for hardwork.
    3)Get a book on advance algorithms, There are plenty of books. I suggest you to start off with Introduction to Algorithms(CLRS) and then use Knuth's books as references. Within next six months you would surely be a better programmer than you are now.

Only thing now left is practice, practice as much as you can. Soon you would cracking programing examples. Practice sites are like code-chef and project euler. (Start off with project euler, code-chef is slightly advance).

If you have any doubts, post it here.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    If you are going specifically for algorithms try Introduction to Algorithms by Coreman. Its a great book for algos. And if you want specifically with C++, u can try Sartaj Sahni, lot of ready made examples....😀
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Algorithms in C++ by Robert Sedgewick. Found the review #-Link-Snipped-#.
  • jigneshdgreat
    jigneshdgreat
    simplycoder
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    I can suggest the following approach:

1)Get a book on language, If you are learning C++, I advocate Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel.
    Study the book and concepts of language for about a month, by this I think you can atleast write simple programs.
    2)After your one month on C++, get a book on data-structures and algorithms, I advocate data-structures and algorithms, by andrew tannenbum study this book and make sure you understand concept of stacks,queues,linked-lists,trees,hash-tables they are quiet often used.
    I assume you could grasp like a normal programmer, and this would take more 2 months for hardwork.
    3)Get a book on advance algorithms, There are plenty of books. I suggest you to start off with Introduction to Algorithms(CLRS) and then use Knuth's books as references. Within next six months you would surely be a better programmer than you are now.

Only thing now left is practice, practice as much as you can. Soon you would cracking programing examples. Practice sites are like code-chef and project euler. (Start off with project euler, code-chef is slightly advance).

If you have any doubts, post it here.
    Tanx....but project euler is not a coding site i guess.......it provides u with mathematical problems??
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Tanx....but project euler is not a coding site i guess.......it provides u with mathematical problems??
    Yes you are correct but on the same hand all the problems doesnt require huge skills of mathematics.
    For example suppose you are required to print primes below one million, I would suggest you to try using a trivial algorithm to print the primes.
    See how much time it takes, now use optimized code(Sieve) now check how much time you require to print.
    Now increase the bar to 10Million and re verify.

Take a shot at it, you would learn things like coding efficiently. Make sure that you get a correct answer in least possible time. This is where you would be exposed to design and analyze complexity of algorithms and over a time you would be better. Faster an algorithm is, better it will be.

Also first check your skills in C++. Nothing fancy just test your knowledge in arrays,pointers,structures,control-structures. Then go on to design in OOP.

If you are able to do this quiet fluently then only go to Data-structures and Algorithms, until then I will suggest you to keep out of it as it would cause only confusion later on.

Lean back, take your time and enjoy. Give yourself time and get practice you would be soon better.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, ii have started learning STAAD.PRO on my own through the guides that they have provided but i need to explore more, ask questions, clear my doubts etc. So,...
Dear all, I wish the journey of our friendship will be a new story in the future. Wish me best of luck. Archan
hello CE ians.. i am hari prasad pursuing my graduation degree programme in mechanical engineering..! and am from Tamil Nadu, India.. CE seeems to be an awesome, informative for budding...
Hi, I'm a final year electronics and communication engineering student and am interested in doing my project in QualNet related to security in wireless sensor networks. Can you please suggest...
Can you pls suggest some ideas for our annual unified techno-managerial cultural symposium??? This year our theme is "Engineering a Safer and Greener Tomorrow". Also suggest some interesting working models...