BIOS Flash : What is it?

Recently, I had to flash my laptop's BIOS. I did it on my own by following instructions on laptop manufacturer's official website.

However, I'm not sure what exactly is BIOS Flashing. Can anyone here explain it?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I think it refers to the process of upgrading your BIOS! Beyond that, I know as much as you do!! ๐Ÿ˜ (maybe less)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mad_scientist
    I think it refers to the process of upgrading your BIOS! Beyond that, I know as much as you do!! ๐Ÿ˜ (maybe less)
    Yep, that I know. But what happens when the BIOS is flashed? Why is it needed?

Anyone?
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    As far as I know the BIOS Flashing is as rightly said an Upgrade to the BIOS. It is actually updating your BIOS software to a newer version.

The BIOS which is a gateway to the very first step to run a PC ie the Boot Process is a software stored permanently on the chip. And it is but similar to any other softwares on the hard disk in certain respects. Like, it too has newer, recent updates, enhanced features and certain corrections made in its original versions.

And you can certainly upgrade your BIOS to these new capabilities by adopting a newer version ie Upgrading the BIOS.

But as you know that the BIOS is not just another program residing on the HDD it requires a special utility that can ERASE the older software of the BIOS from the chip and install the NEW software with the improvised features in its place.
    We cannot do this just like upgrading another software done usually, but require a SPECIAL PROGRAM called the FLASH UTILITY to do the whole process of erasing the older version from the chip and installing the newer version in that place.

This special program doing the job for you is called the FLASH UTILITYand the process of new install is called FLASHING.

The reasons for flashing the BIOS are as follows :

The BIOS has the settings which allow your Motherboard to accept the Processor and Harddisks upto a certain speed and size and put a limitation on the same.

Now if suppose there comes up a newer version of the Processor you use, with a much higher processing speed and compatible to your exsisting MOBO, then to replace the older one with the new faster version will require the BIOS to have the new changes in settings inorder to allow it to recognise the new Processor and allow the MOBO to accept it.

Also there are similar settings recognising the size of the HD and putting the restrictions on the MOBO to accept the HD with a maximum size. So again if you wish to upgrade your HD with a new one having larger storage space it require the necessary change in the settings of the BIOS to let the MOBO accept it.

Or even if there is certain feautre or option that your BIOS is said to have, but the features are not working properly, then the MOBO manufacturer comes up with a proper version of the software with all the features working and necessary fixes made.

These are the three main reaon why a Flashing of BIOS is primarily needed.

Biggi, had you recently gone for any change or upgradation of either your PROCESSOR or HD. You may have required the flashing for either of these reasons.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rohan - you are freaking awesome ๐Ÿ˜ !

Thanks for the information. I had few issues with the laptop battery and had to do the BIOS flash as suggested by Dell executive.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Biggie this link also can help you ๐Ÿ˜‰

BIOS Flashing, What is BIOS or CMOS flashing?
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Hey, Thanks Biggi ๐Ÿ˜€ .

But nothing much to it actually, just tried to explain what I had read a few days back while learning about the BIOS and its tweaks.

Happy to know that the piece of info helped you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how can i get answers for my questions............ how ce wiil be beneficial to me........ pls help me anyone..............
Hi, this is nataraj i wanna do an project based on transformers or on Energy meter so plz help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz๐Ÿ˜•
hi.. friends... this is priyank... I want to buy one Digi cam... My budget is around 9000-10000rs.. ๐Ÿ˜’ I have seen Sony S190... with 12mp.. I m so confuse...๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜• Which...
Dear, give me proper meaning of IC-AT89S8252 that is used in automatic college bell.and give me coding source for college bell.
Hello friends, I have an idea of doing a project in VB,but to be frank i am just going to start to learn VB,can anybody suggest me any simple project...