Beware! Fake Optimizers Around

Last week I was just reading around blogs and I found an advertisement about PC performance boosting software. It was long since I had reviewed any PC performance boosting software, so to check out its working I downloaded that software and scanned my PC, to my surprise it found 3491 PC tweak problems, did you noticed that number, isn’t questionable. A normal user may get fooled by such notifications because so far as I know about my computer, it is maintained at regular intervals by a person who have his own master hand in maintaining Windows platforms, of course that person is me. So anyhow I would have never believed those notifications are true because my PC always runs at its maximum speed because I had manually applied all tweaks to it. In-spite of having a four year old class-B level laptop my PC runs Windows Vista with its maximum visual flavors, 70+ various applications installed and even boots as a fresh installation, so anyhow that notifications can’t be true. So lets discus here how to keep yourself safe from such software which give you false notifications about your PC performance. Please don’t think that we will name those software here such thing is known as bad publicity and we don’t do it, we are giving you steps to check out yourself how you can find out a software is giving you false notification.

1. Check out for the time the system optimizing software takes to scan your computer.

No matter how fast your computer is or what kind hardware you have, no software can ever scan your PC in fractions of few second, if that happens it is very first thing that clears the software is creating false positives. Next thing if you are regular Internet freak who surf at least two hours daily and scanning PC after one or two weeks there’s no way any software can ever scan that much Internet files in less than half minute.

2. Look for visual optimization tweaks or visual options it offers.

If it shows some visual tweaks are weakening your system performance, switch off all visual options and scan again. Result about visual tweaks must go below 25% the previous result.

3. Are those services are really needed.

The software may give out you results asking you to disable some services you may have never heard of. Type “services.exe” on Run Window or Command Prompt to find out those services are really running on your system or not. When it prompts for enabling some service first check that service is really present or not and if present then you really need it or not.

4. Junk files fools you more than anything else.

The thing many people might be knowing about a slow PC is that it have lot of junk files. So if the software shows lot of junk files they believe yes it works, its not like that always. To check the notification is true or not type “cleanmgr.exe” in run window, select the drive you think might be having lots of junk files, this utility will scan that drive for junk files. Leaving “Hibernation Files” as it is you can delete all files without problem. Next if you are using some other browser than IE then clear its history. Then scan again if number doesn’t drop to 20% of previous number there is full possibility the software is generating false positives or its working is faulty.

5. Don’t get lured by registry tweaks.

Most software guarantees you tweaks by optimizing registry. Before you apply the mentioned tweaks shown by software, please be sure what the tweak will really do else don’t apply it. The most trusted tweak that you can apply without problem to registry is registry cleaning. Most of the time guarantees 100% optimization.

6. Confusion to pagefile.sys can be used against you.

Most general users as well as professionals don’t really know how size and place of pagefile.sys file can be used for optimizing performance. Believe me the software shows same solution to everyone, but the fact is that how pagefile.sys can optimize your PC depends on current performance of your computer so no other than manual tweak usually work on pagefile.sys and you need long time to understand on its size and working, if you don’t want to go in details just leave it to system

7. Beware of unknown de-fragmentation methods.

The software may boast of having found new de-fragmenting method that can de-frag your hard disk to work better. This is the thing which always lured me to try software once how it can boost performance than other software by different method of de-fragmenting and I always found the claim was 100% false. So far as I know triple-pass algorithm is best de-fragmentation algorithm and I prefer de-fragmenting software with this algorithm whereas my brother thinks double de-fragmentation algorithm is best so he goes for software with that algorithm.

8. Powerful disk checking utilities are already present inside your system.

Disk checking utilities present in your system are more powerful than any other utilities ever built for checking disk in Windows, prefer them.

9. Registry De-frag a tweak or a joke.

I don’t know who really introduced this concept of system optimization. In this method a software tries to reduce size of registry to tweak performance. And no doubt it also tweaks system to high level but at what cost. Applying registry de-frag tweak can lead to several problems related to installation and un-installation of software and drivers. If you are applying this tweak 100% optimization guaranteed but before you apply take backup of registry to avoid further problems.

10. Advanced Un-installer.

Advanced Un-installer is one of most exciting features that is introduced in PC optimization. Personally I’ll not recommend you performance boosting software which does not include this feature.

(You really don’t need to buy software before you try, so check demo version then prefer the full version. Steps above can help you understand about a software is fake, generating false positives or can really optimize your system.)

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My maternal uncle is Civil Engineer and he works for Indian Railways, whenever I meet his friends they tell me as an Engineer they always fantasize being like him because...
Beijing, Dec 9, 2010— GstarCAD, one of the world leading providers of 2D/3D CAD software, today announced the release of the significant functions of GstarCAD2011—a group of 3D solid model...
A day or two before while on CE-Forums I found someone was curious to know if there really exists any Hardware Virus? And the answer is yes there does exist...
Registry is considered as one of the most brain bombing part of Microsoft Windows OS. From quite some time I am trying to understand it bit by bit. So here...
So this is the second post appearing with evil in its title, the first one appeared for Evil Maid and now for Evil Twin. Hacking community is really evil on...