Bandra Worli Sea Link - Cable Stayed Bridge

The Bandra Worli sea link is probably India's few mega structures project. The sea link is a cable stayed bridge that is 5.6km long and uses viaducts on either side. The bottom clearance is about 20m, while the overall height of the bridge is 126 meters. The project has been constructed by HCC. The bridge handles ~ 37,500 vehicles daily.

BWSL-1

Image Credit: Wikipedia.org

What amuses me is the curved shape of the bridge. Can someone throw in more details why did the engineers used an arc instead of a direct straight line? 😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    cross-section-stay-cable
    The image shows the cross section of a stay cable! That sure is 'lot of strength', I must say! Interesting, right?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The Bandra Worli Sea Link project beautifully explained in this video:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Through small talk we interview engineers who've had an impact in the world. If you wish to see your favorite personality in our Small Talk, please post your suggestion...
Inviting all the random thoughts and views on identifying your own passion and why it is important.
Ok CEans, I have something really interesting to share with you all. I had been to Phoenix Mills, Mumbai, India last friday, and I witnessed Creativity Live. It was an...
when will be ies exam 2012
i have planned to read about c language. can anyone suggest me a book please