All about oils

Hello everyone ever wonder about oils?
Oils are gift of nature to mankind.We sometimes use oils as lotions.But I am talking about lubricating oils.Don't try to use them as lotions.馃榿
Anyways jokes apart.Actually I want to discuss the various properties of lubricating oils and their general types.
1.Viscosity
Viscosity is the property of flow of any liquid to flow.Simply speaking,
A low viscosity oil is very thin and flows readily.
A high viscosity oil is very thick and resists flow.
So it is actually difficult to define a good lubricating oil.It depends under what conditions you use it.To be more scientific there are two types of viscosities

a) Dynamic viscosity : also called as absolute viscosity, the more usual one (typical units Pa路s, Poise, P); and

b) Kinematic viscosity: is the dynamic viscosity divided by the density (typical units m2/s, Stokes, St).

2.Viscosity index:
This is the rate of change of viscosity with respect to temperature.So a single viscosity oil is very thick at low temperatures and very thin at high temperatures.

3.Viscosity numbers:
As any other things oils also have various grades.As the oils used in winter conditions are thick hence the two grades
1.winter
2.Other than winter
the various grades are SAE 0W, SAE 5W, SAE 10W...and so on.As you can easily guess W stands for winter.

4.Multiple-Viscosity oils:
In many applications the changing of viscosity with respect to temperature is undesirable.So we have viscosity index improver.Most automotive manufacturers recommend multi viscosity oils for automobiles.

5.Resistance to carbon formation and oil oxidations:
When the temperature increases,we may face this problem so we need the resistance to it.

6.Corrosion and rust inhibitors:
Additives are put in oils so that oils should protect the parts from rusting in case they come in contact of water.

7.Foaming resistance:
Whenever the moving part moves, it may churn the oil so that it will foam.This reduces the lubricating property of oil.To prevent it we may have the following
1.Additives or
2.A baffle in oil pan and
3.A windage tray between pan and cylinder.

8.Detergent-Dispersants:
These additives act as a soap and they carry dirt and carbon away from oil.

9.Extreme pressure resistance:
The oils also prevent the parts from extreme pressure.As in case of bearings and valves.

10.Energy conserving oils:
These oils reduce fuel consumption when compared to engine operation with a specified engine oil.
There are two types.
EC1 and EC2.EC2 oils provide much better fuel economy than EC1 oils.

11.Synthetic oils:
As modern sciences are advancing we have better oils which are artificially obtained.They are made from certain Carbon compounds and alcohols.
The advantages include
a)They tolerate heat better
b)Produce less sludge
c)Less carbon deposits

So it was all I could do for you.Everything rests with you people.Please correct me wherever I am wrong.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone, Can anyone tell me how to apply for universities in Japan?Is there any exam like GATE for M.TECH? I am currently pursuing Mechanical engineering and I am in...
Hello This is Dheeraj from Visakhapatnam,India. I am a budding RC modeller/pilot very much interested in it. this has started a just a time pass for me and now this...
Future Energy Systems: Integrating Renewable Energy Sources into the Smart Power Grid Through Industrial Electronics this is an ieee paper i cannot able to download it so please those who...
hi guys, ever wondered why the moon looks white , sometimes it glows with yellow too. Answers welcome..
In my school days, I was taught about the lasers and their medical and industrial applications. Then later on I actually studied how do lasers work and what they literally...