Additive White Gaussian Noise

Hiii everybody,

What is the difference between White Noise and White Gaussian Noise? And what is Additive White Gaussian Noise? I have refer to wikipedia, google and yahoo, but can't really differentiate them. Can someone please explain to me in detail??

Thank you.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, the difference between White Noise and White Gaussian Noise is that the latter has a "Gaussian" or normal amplitude distribution (bell shaped like in statistics), but both still has constant power spectral density. In AWGN, the word "additive" simply shows that the noise has an additive effect on a signal, rather than a convoluted effect in communication systems.
  • Vila
    Vila
    Hiiiiii,

Hi Ash, thanks a lot for your reply and explaination. Now i understand better, but could you explain more on AWGN? What you mean by the additive effect on the signal and convoluted effects on communication system?

Thanks dude
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry for the late reply!

For example, we know that in communication transmission, the data signal x(t) is "combined" with other signal h(t) to produce a third signal (normally by integral transform- ie convolution). Because the final signal is sent through a wireless channel consisting of interference, noise signal n(t) is combined together. However, n(t) does not have an integral effect on the signal.. it is merely added to it, thus only the amplitude of the signal changes. The final equation of the signal is something like this:

y(t) = x(t)*h(t) + n(t).

AWGN models the noise in the communication channel, so it is used in simulation and calculations. It is not the only model, but its the most frequently used. MATLAB has an AWGN function in which the second parameter is the noise level in dB.

Hope that helps!

More info on convolution here:
    Convolution
  • Vila
    Vila
    Hiiiii,

Thanks a lot dude, now i understand how it works...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

give me some idea on minor electronics project 😁hello, crazy engineers! i am Ajmer Singh, pursuing b.tech in electronics and communication and in final year.. i want to make a...
hi friends i am in final year computer science ..can anyone of you suggest me some project topic related to embedded system or any innovative topic related to interfacing or...
I want to do MBA , cn u suggest which specialization is better for Computer Eng.
hi! I am in 7th semester and doing a project on designing turbines. can anyone recommend some good books on this topic? also i would like to know about some...
its something i came across recently and found it really interesting..i've decided to do my s7 seminar on this topic.. can you advise me on this topic? especially how it...