Adding PPAs In Ubuntu (Using Terminal)

We have covered Adding PPAs in Ubuntu ,But that method seems to be consuming a lot of time.

We know that CLI can really save our precious time, so here's the simple tutorial explaining how-to add PPA from Terminal.

Suppose, I wanna download HandBrake: Open Source Video TranscoderApplication from Official PPA of Handbrake.
PPAs are usually found in : Personal Package Archives : Ubuntu

Go to Launchpad website & search for the Application you need to download, In this tutorial we will be adding Handbrake Official PPA.

Now, Open the Terminal & Type :
 sudo add-apt-repository APT-Line 
What is APT-Line ? Check out the image below :

So,
To Add "Handbrake" Official PPA, I have to type in Terminal as :
 sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases 
& Press Enter.
Again two options in Terminal will pop, something like :
- Press "Enter" to ADD PPA ( or continue)
- Press "Ctrl+c" to leave.

Press "Enter" & the keyrings & repository.list will be downloaded to your computer.

Now, In Terminal Type :
 sudo apt-get update 
to update the repository.

And then, you can use :
 sudo apt-get install APP_NAME 
to Download the Application/File you want to install from modified repository.

Here as we are using PPA for handbrake, we'll download Handbrake by:
 sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk 
👍

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, why use Terminals for the PPAs when you've the GUI? Are there any advantages?

Sorry, if the question is n00b!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, why use Terminals for the PPAs when you've the GUI? Are there any advantages?
    Using GUI, you have to click on [Ubuntu Software Center] then [Software Sources] then [Other Softwares] & then you have to add [APT Line], then Update the repository.Dang this is such a waste of time.
    However, I have even seen "GPG Error...No PUB Key" popping while adding PPA using GUI. (In Terminal I never get such kind of error)

Using Terminal, Write 3 commands which takes hardly 10-12 seconds to Add PPA & update the repository.Simple-Easy-Less time consuming & thus recommended.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Meet Romo - the iPhone powered robot that you can build for just $150, provided you own an iPhone already. But looking at the capabilities it 'can' have, a similar...
Just a couple of weeks back, the tech specs of Acer Iconia W3 tablet were revealed on the company’s Finnish site. And now, ahead of the Computex 2013 showcase event,...
We often talk about fixing engineering education, but most of the things would lie with policy makers. The process of fixing engineering education begins with identifying the pain-points that need...
3D printing experiment is being done in the space under zero gravity conditions at the ISS. If the experiment is successful, we'll soon see a new era of manufacturing parts...
The budget-restrained techies have got something really exciting to look forward to. ARM, the mobile processor design giant, is foraying into the mid-range smartphone segment where they've kept a selling...