A small stupid doubt

I think I landed in correct arena to get answer for my question.So here is my question
1)why lights flicker or blasts when a thunder struck ?
2)what is the root cause for avoiding electrical and electronic appliances and gadgets during rainy seasons and while thunderstrikes?
3)why they force to unplug tv and cable plug during thunder striking times?
4)Is it dangerous to use phone for talking for the above said condition?
5)Is surfing safe during the same condition stated above?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    All of these issues are related to a possible strike on the wires carrying electricity to homes. Any appliance connected to external power are a potential hazard.
    TV antennae or cable lines are probably more susceptible if they run higher, especially in multistory buildings.
    Likewise fixed land line phones.

However, there is not much truth that such lines attract lightning. Grounded lines may offer a lower resistance path to lightning.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I want to know how bulb or a tubelight burst during a thunder struck and why?
  • lal
    lal
    CSK AUTO
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I never noticed that. Lights shouldn't flicker with every strike, unless it all hits a power line! But that is not the case. May be you might have seen it flicker with one strike, and that could be probably because lightning hit the power line then.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CSK AUTO
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I have not seen a bulb shatter to pieces, though a tungsten filament can fuse. This happens if there is a voltage surge if as Lal says there is a strike on the line.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Thunder adds alot of interference in your EMW transmission. It can affect your signal upto a large amount. This can damage your gadgets. Basically you are supposed to unplug things to avoid such damage.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We should differentiate between different types of lightning. The jagged, spectacular type of branched discharge accompanied by a sharp clap of thunder is a direct discharge between two points with opposite charge. This is what causes the disturbances described.
    The other kind is a silent glow type of discharge quite often with no thunder which usually happens within cloud banks. This sort of discharge fixes nitrogen into oxides that dissolve in the rain and fertilize fields below. It has been estimated that the total fertilizers produced by such lightning far exceeds all the nitrogen fertilizers produced by all the factories in the world.

Incidentally, when the jagged lightning strikes, the air in the path is super heated and gets compressed to high pressures. Since the flash lasts a very small time the exploding air sends the sound shock waves we hear as thunder.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    i think a thunder struck has very large voltage in it and when it occurs and passes through the line and a bulb or tube light got this large voltage across it and the resistive material in these can't be able to hold the temperature developed and it boils out and the gas present in bulb or tubes also gets heated so much and you know that when the electrons in a gas molecules gets energy the bonds get breaks and a large amount of electrons gets collide each other and with the walls of glass and that colloision is with very large intensity that a glass can't be hold so it brusts.but in tube cases it happens very rare because it has greater ckt to oppose the greater voltage so less will reach to glass.if i am wrong pls correct me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am studying in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I have to submit project in this semester. so i'm interested to submit MicroControl/ Power/ Electronics Related Project Please give me some...
This is an ingenious project, which uses a single IR sensor to scan an object to create a thermal image. Obvious limitation is that the object has to be static....
Wishing all CEans here Eid Mubarak, or as they say in Malaysia, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri! Its been a wonderful month of fasting and prayers. Now its time to spend...
Launched almost a year back in India, the Huawei Ascend P1 was the first 4G LTE capable phone for the country. Though the 4G LTE network was not available all...
Try searching Google and tell me that I'm not the only one who's noticing a change in the color of the links that appear in Google search results. The shade...