110v VS 220v

in North America there are few places where 110 volt power is standard for residential and many commercial users. The rest of the world seems to have settled on 220 volt as the common form of usage. Could you explain what is the advantages and disadvantages of each and which one is better option?

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi
    For any given load - say 550W - higher voltage would mean lower amps and therefor smaller diameter conductors i.e. lower cost.
    110V will use 5A and 220V only 2.5A (for 550W). In my observation relays and other current-baring equipment were also more expensive for current rating over 5A

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge...
Source: Email from ThoughtWorks - After the overwhelming success of first 'vodQA' we bring you the next 'vodQA - THE TESTING SPIRIT!' - a platform for our peers in the...
CEans, On November 26[sup]th[/sup] 2010, CE will celebrate completion of 5 glorious years on the Internet. The plan is to make CE's 5th Birthday grand! Contribute how can we all...
Hello friend's, I want to know what is the reason that AMD(more speedy then INTEL) processors ejects more heat then INTEL(less speedy then AMD). Is AMD uses more SRAM(generate more...
What is the difference between time sharing and multi tasking???