Why are team meetings such a waste of time?

In my own, personal, humble opinion; the best decisions aren't taken by a group rather, they are taken by individuals working alone. 😒

I had thousands of such occasions where I thought we were wasting everyone's time by calling them to a meeting to decide something very trivial.

I always wondered why team meetings are such a waste of time? Well, it could be your final year project meeting with your project mates or office-meeting with your boss - 99/100, it's a time-waste meeting.

What do you think? Do you agree? Tell me!

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The reason is that we are humans, social animals.
    A person, if alone, can focus on what he does and can focus on the topic to think about. He doesn't have to co-ordinate people, but he has to co-ordinate his senses. He can be more productive.
    While in groups, we tend to 'socialize', do some gossip, and talk unnecessarily such that we always divert from the topic. Also, we have to face egos, superiority and inferiority complex, we fight on irrelevant topics, and its hard to co-ordinate people. So, we talk and think more irrelevantly than when working alone!
    Also, in a group, if someone brings out an idea which may be a bad one, but the oratory would do the trick, the higher people will tend to accept that idea. Sometimes, even if it is a good idea, the others start thinking on those lines and thus do not encourage their brains to think in a different way to have a better idea. Seniority and reputation plays a major part in group discussions in some cases!

P.S.: If you ask whether I agree or not that team meetings are such a time waste. I would say a 50:50. Because much depends on the team and the coordinator in charge!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Depends (as usual 😛 )

My university satellite project definitely needed team decisions because of the multiple subsystems that are dependent on each other (sensors, OBDH, power, comms, structure, etc). It required unified approaches that everyone agrees upon, and making sure each team member is keeping up with the development pace. Quite tough, considering the tight deadlines and budget. Its true that people can impose their ideas (good or bad) on people while in groups.. but I was blessed with a great team of friends that accepted constructive criticism, thought logically, and were supportive of each other. Fun times indeed 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How to apply watermark to a password field and the text in the watermark should be"Password"????
I just read this news from Times of India. ​ The Wall Street Journal is reporting that 10 popular Facebook applications have been transmitting users' personal identifying information to dozens...
Look at this video and read the description following it. [video=youtube;fXkoIBDXwd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8&feature=player_embedded[/video] Video from a camera attached to a weather balloon that rose into the upper stratosphere and recorded the blackness...
dobe Systems is expected to announce tomorrow the next version of its Acrobat software, dubbed Adobe Acrobat X. The software will include the free PDF (portable document format) viewing software...
Can using wireless router give common mode surege protection? i have a wireless router and like to know ways to protect router if a lighting strikes in the surrounding area....