What are the ways by which a scratched disk can be restored ?

I have a music CD which is nearly five years old.

It is scratched and dirtied in such a way, that it now no longer plays properly in either DVD player or PC.

Now is there anyway by which this thing can be restored. ? I have heard that there is something called "CD cleaning fluid" available in the market. will this help in anyway ?

Now even if the CD is physically damaged beyond repair, then is there any way by which its contents alone can be retrieved and saved on some other storage media ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, well - it once did work for me; but I'd certainly not recommend it. I just used a hair dryer to blow off the dust from the CD's surface and then wiped it clean with the special glasses cleaning cloth. It worked; but if you've no other option left - give it a try.

Even the tiniest dust particles may damage the disk. One of my friends used to dip all the CDs in a buckt of water and get them working.

Wondering if anyone's tried it.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Even the tiniest dust particles may damage the disk. One of my friends used to dip all the CDs in a buckt of water and get them working.
    Now that sounds very much like a stunt to me.

did his CDs work after that. ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri

Yes; but again - I'm not recommending it. Do it if everything else fails.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I remember reading an article about the same issue on LifeHacker a long time back. There is something called a CD Recovery Toolbox -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You can use it to restore information lost as a result of some mechanical damage of the disk (scratches, chips, different spots on the surface) or as a result of incorrect recording.
    It will also detect your disk if it is not getting detected after all those scratches.
    Haven't tried it though, so can't post a review.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    zaveri

It may sound weird but to be honest, I had tried it and it worked for me. I used a small cotton cloth(Your old T shirt may be) and immerse it in cold water.Make it less dripping and wipe the CD from center towards outside.Using CD cleaner would be apt if you had it.As big K said, It should be your last hope.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    and how this comes under CS/IT??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vishal0203
    and how this comes under CS/IT??
    Moved.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved.
    thank you! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

China seems to be competing with Dubai for the coolest buildings in the world. The Italian architecture firm A.M. Progetti has completed work on the doughnut shaped building in China:...
Well, but even with those specs, the Galaxy S5 may not offer a better battery backup. Why? Because the phone has to power a 2K display - that'd make your...
Hi friends, I am studying final year Automobile Engineering and I should do a project as a part of academic system. I searched for many things but destined here and...
3D-printing enthusiasts now have a whole new tune to dance to, for Adobe now pushes their unorthodox hobby to mainstream, as it now introduces tools to its Photoshop software that...
Explore in the following delightfully animated videos six famous thought experiments that the universities expose their students to. 😀 The Paradox of the Tortoise and Achilles The Grandfather Paradox Chinese...