Guangzhou Circle Mansion - Stable or Not Stable?

China seems to be competing with Dubai for the coolest buildings in the world. The Italian architecture firm A.M. Progetti has completed work on the doughnut shaped building in China: Guangzhou Circle Mansion. Now as interesting as the building looks; my biggest concern will always be the stability. The polo-mint like building has a hole in the middle; which I think serves the purpose of letting the air flow through and not topple the building. The questions is - is it just enough?

Here are a few interesting details of the building. The Guangzhou Circle Mansion has a total floor space of about 914,000 sq.ft and the building rises to about 33 floors to a height of about 452ft. The center hole is about 48 meters in diameter.

Looking for comments on the stability of this building from our civil / structural engineering folks.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All the photos: Copyright: Joseph di Pasquale architect (click for bigger view)guangzhou_circle-2guangzhou_circle-5guangzhou_circle-12guangzhou_circle
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    It's really a cool project. Hope it could be one of the trademark project in China. If talking about the stability of the structure having depends upon the good and wide base which is resting below the ground. It will resist the over turning moment. Considered it as a cantilever fixed with ground.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, but even with those specs, the Galaxy S5 may not offer a better battery backup. Why? Because the phone has to power a 2K display - that'd make your...
Hi friends, I am studying final year Automobile Engineering and I should do a project as a part of academic system. I searched for many things but destined here and...
3D-printing enthusiasts now have a whole new tune to dance to, for Adobe now pushes their unorthodox hobby to mainstream, as it now introduces tools to its Photoshop software that...
Explore in the following delightfully animated videos six famous thought experiments that the universities expose their students to. 😀 The Paradox of the Tortoise and Achilles The Grandfather Paradox Chinese...
Microsoft Academia Accelerator will soon be functional at all the IITs, BITS Pilani and IIITs. The accelrator will conduct workshops to cover the industry relevant topics and technologies and also...