Should people be held responsible for their comments on social networking websites?

Recently, two girls were arrested by Mumbai cops owing to their comments that were said to hurt the sentiments of large number of people. The girls were later released on bail but the whole event has provoked rage in the social media - both for and against it. Some of the people say that there has to be freedom of speech and the arrest of the girl because of what she said in the social media website isn't justified.

There's another group of people that says that the girls shouldn't have said anything that might have led to such action by people.

I wish to know what do our engineers think about the issue?

Replies

• sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    According to me, freedom of speech is justified only upto that extent where no one is hurt either personally or due to other religious sentiments.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I read the remarks in #-Link-Snipped-#(no where else it was published/shown on Tv) which are updated on Facebook by those girls.Remarks ware their personal opinion and I don't think it was a insult to anyone.
    Also this similar reaction comes form #-Link-Snipped-# in public media and no one can oppose him.
    I believe it is failure of govt to maintain the law and order.
    A stunt from that group to try to maintain the shadow of Parallel Govt. which was ended two days ago.
    While the people who broke the property of girls relative should be charged within the act of Terrorizing public.

But that doesn't mean freedom of speech should be violated, may be law of Freedom of Speed needs to be revised and clearly stated by constitution.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I dont think we even need to debate on this. She didnt do anything wrong, she wrote what she felt, she didnt abuse anyone, she didnt hurt any religious feelings. Whatever happened was wrong and shows low mentality of people. Period.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Like #-Link-Snipped-# said, she didn't wrote anything that hurt the feelings of people.She just posted on FB regarding Mumbai-bandh.
    What's wrong in that?
    Such kinda immature act by some local politicians puts many questions on our rights.

Have you seen that girl during interview? she was afraid as if God itself has warned her.I wonder how much did the local police & local politicians had threatened her ?

Do you think parents will now allow their kids to use Social networking site?

At school level our education teaches us Human rights, Freedom of speech & so an so. Now, they tryna control the way we speak.

In my Opinion, Those two girls should've fought instead of backing down.
    After few days another local dumbnut politician will try to suppress a citizen for what he/she speaks.

Where is Freedom of speech ? Ha?

-Lord, Save My Country-
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What is freedom of speech ? Their comments are highly justified if what some shit politician shits out in public stages
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    At that day most of the shopkeepers closed their shops spontaneously.There were really have a significant influence on the people of that personality.Therefore that was not the right time to comment like this.Actually those were not mind-hurting words but the time was wrong.Actully many islamic groups wrote many fiery and dividing comments on that day.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WHAT IS THE .NET 2010 FRAME WORK.PLEASE IF ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT .NET THEN PLEASE SAY TO ME
The startup culture in India might just get a boost as 'Startup-Wallah' is coming to India. The initiative is taken by Dave McClure of the 500Startups (SEC.GOV). The incubator will...
Honda has launched a new 1.6 liter i-DTEC diesel engine that is lightest in its class. Beginning 2013, the engine will make an entry into the CIVIC with 120 PS...
Radiance 2013 is the R&D festival of IIT Bombay's Mechanical Department. Consisting of lectures, competitions, exhibitions and more, this festival was first initiated in 2007 and has been continued to...
IIT Kharagpur's mega techno-management event - Kshitij 2013 is here. With more than 40 events related to science, technology as well as management, Kshitij 2013 in collaboration with esteemed institutions...