Isolation of electric consumption due to CFL

Hi all ,
I have hit a roadblock in my internship project. We are distributing 1 lakh CFLs to residential areas and are expected to measure the acutal usage of these bulbs. It is not posibble to physically take the readings so is there a cost effective way of measuring and monitoring the usage from a remote location or atleast get the cumulative usage at the client location ?
I was thinking light sensors and transmitters but it is very costly.
Please help how to acquire the data .

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I dont know how correct I am! But here is a suggestion.
    Take the power consumed per month of the location before distributing and after distributing then you can get power saved by the CFL's!! this is not efficient though!
  • gaurav2587
    gaurav2587
    Yes but then the problem will be how to calculate the current usage of bulbs for such a large population ?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    You may feel that I am the most stupid electrical engineer on the face of the earth. But please read this and correct me if you think I am correctible.
    CFLs are known to consume very less power. Typical CFLs used in houses range between 12W and 26W(I use these in my house).Now, lets take an 18W CFL(Average) as an example. In India, we use 230V AC supply. If Power=VI, then current taken by that CFL is .0782A. Now, for an electrical appliance, it is a very small current compared to other lighting systems. If we consider a voltage variation upto 210V, the current consumed is just 0.8A. These may be standardised by the CFL manufacturers themselves, with a very small variation, mey be.
    My point is, what is the need of measuring the current consumed of each and every CFL? Isn't that something tedius and unwanted?I second the idea given by the member English-Scared. Why don't you use that if you have to prove the decrease in energy consumption, rather than measuring the current of every single CFL?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do we make one-to-one links between 2 breeds in Netlogo 4.1 . Say i have a breed A and another breed B. I need one link running from every...
Hello friends... I have one doubt my deploying section... Anybody knew about to create setup file(.exe) for a java project.... Please...
Received following mail from ThoughWorks - We are delighted to invite you to an interactive webinar on 'Open Business Intelligence'. Business Intelligence (BI) is one of the most abused terms...
THE JOB LOCATION IS PUNE. CANDIDATES BASED OUT AT PUNE AND WILLING TO RELOCATE TO PUNE NEED ONLY APPLY Exp.: 3-7 yrs. Job Description: •Experience in Telecom Domain Including Automation...
Well, even through Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP until 2014; Gartner is advising companies to upgrade operating systems from XP to Windows 7. Michael Silver, vice president and...