How Much Say Did Your Parents Have In Deciding Your Career?

I'm surprised when many engineering students (and even professionals) say that the decision of choosing engineering was actually taken by their parents. There are few examples of wannabe doctors turned engineers.

I'm sure there are many among us. What's your experience? Looking back, what do you think? Are you happy or not happy with it?

For me, it was my decision to take up engineering because as a kid I was fascinated with anything electric. Plus I saw my father fix almost everything on his own without needing help from anyone. That made an impression on my mind that 'Engineers can do anything!'.

It's a different story that I ended up becoming an entrepreneur related to computers & software. But that was my own decision too.

What say you?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Engineering is my own decision!

I wanted to pursue career in Electronics or Electrical!! I mean ECE or EEE looking at few of the subjects in my Intermediate.
    Mostly the topics related to Electromagnetics and Electricity fascinated me!
    I ended up taking Electrical and I am happy!

And now I am working as a software tester entirely different from what I have studied , I am not that interested in this job! I love doing it but this is not what I love the most!
    So I am just doing only because I have to do ๐Ÿ˜”
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    My parents wanted me to go for engineering, I took it. It was a good decision, but I was at the wrong place at the right time!! Leave that.
    I love engineering, I had a small inclination to it, but still not enough to take engineering as my everything! My parents' opinion ad decision did the work! So, here I am as an engineer!!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I had no idea what I was doing when I took engineering. It was my mother's decision.

Now that I have got my hands dirty, I love every part of it. ๐Ÿ˜
    When I come to think of it, there could not be a better decision.
  • Reya
    Reya
    I was forced to take engineering because of my dad's compulsion.But i enjoy studying engineering having a thought in my heart i should not have missed "medicine"๐Ÿ˜”
    I had a dream of becoming cardiologist from my childhood๐Ÿ˜€After i took engineering i changed my ambition to achieve something in computer field๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    It was my own decision to take as i had a keen interest in knowing about computer and IT releated things ๐Ÿ˜€
    but some how was thinking that i will get devlopment,but right now in Testing...so willing to put my best effort in that
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Always wanted to be an engineer, loved taking things apart and see how they worked. Though over time I did have strong inclinations to be an economist, or a diplomat like my dad. Maybe I still do!
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    it was my decision to take up engineering. ๐Ÿ˜€ my mom hoped that one of us would take medicine. but when both me and my sister showed other interests she accepted. my dad was always fine with the decisions i took.
    i took civil engineering as i wanted to enjoy engineering. and the things that fascinated me were buildings drawings and stuff. so i thought it was the right thing for me. again my mom and uncle (civil er.) were apprehensive of my decision as they considered civil engineering a guy's subject. but i chose civil engineering and i'm SO GLAD i did that ๐Ÿ˜ i'm enjoying every bit of civil engineering. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    Hello all,
    I wanted to be doctor and had a caliber as well. But today I am in final year of EC engg. I feel lucky for this as I just hate those cramming subjects of medical. I just love maths and all engg subjects. Though I couldnt achieve what I wanted but atleast I enjoyed learning of engg unlike medical.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    chirag_kotadia
    Hello all,
    I wanted to be doctor and had a caliber as well. But today I am in final year of EC engg. I feel lucky for this as I just hate those cramming subjects of medical. I just love maths and all engg subjects. Though I couldnt achieve what I wanted but atleast I enjoyed learning of engg unlike medical.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    Go for PHD and we'd be happy to call you Dr. Kotadia ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kidding ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    ๐Ÿ˜
    Good one sir,
    Seems honour for me..
    Thanks
    good joke!!๐Ÿ˜‰
  • makru921
    makru921
    my parents wanted me to be a doctor, but i always wanted to be an electronics engineer from childhood. To satisfy them i even wrote the state medical entrance without much preparation where i prepared much for the engineering one. When the results came out, i had a rank which could get me into a goverment medical college in my state๐Ÿ˜€ same thing with engineering (I had never expected this good a rank for the medicine). My parents wanted me to go for MBBS, but finally i stuck to my decision and went on to pursue engineering.

Even though after 3 years my work field has deviated from core engineering, i still consider myself to be a proud (&crazy!!) engineer๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In my own, personal, humble opinion; the best decisions aren't taken by a group rather, they are taken by individuals working alone. ๐Ÿ˜’ I had thousands of such occasions where...
How to apply watermark to a password field and the text in the watermark should be"Password"????
I just read this news from Times of India. โ€‹ The Wall Street Journal is reporting that 10 popular Facebook applications have been transmitting users' personal identifying information to dozens...
Look at this video and read the description following it. [video=youtube;fXkoIBDXwd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8&feature=player_embedded[/video] Video from a camera attached to a weather balloon that rose into the upper stratosphere and recorded the blackness...
dobe Systems is expected to announce tomorrow the next version of its Acrobat software, dubbed Adobe Acrobat X. The software will include the free PDF (portable document format) viewing software...