Google Treats VR Right - Forms New Division To Battle Facebook Oculus

From its marketing efforts, Google made it seem like Virtual Reality was a pet project. But suddenly, Google named Clay Bavor, VP of Product Management, head of a new division dedicated to VR. The move is not very surprising because the big daddy of Silicon Valley has a reputation for greatly influencing innovative trends, and surely wouldn't sit this one out. Not especially when Facebook made a grand entry by acquiring pioneer VR company, Oculus.

google-cardboard-virtual-reality-viewer

Google’s VR hardware and promotional methods are extremely unorthodox. Google Cardboard, which actually is cardboard, can be assembled in 3 simple steps, and supports up to 6-inch phones. Presumably the low cost led to 1 Million giveaways by New York Times to its subscribers. Google has also been promoting Cardboard to schools which is a very cost-effective solution that can completely overhaul the way children learn.

Even before being too serious about it, Google has already partnered with GoPro, Nissan and Star Wars to offer 360 degree experiences. The only hiccup Google might face is that Cardboard is smartphone focussed and might not fly with high-end experience seekers. But that explains why, apart from the obvious, Google had also invested heavily (close to $600 Million) in an Augmented Reality company, Magic Leap, that holds a patent for its technology. Weighing these facts, Google is equally armed as its rivals, Facebook and Microsoft.

The simplicity and affordability of Cardboard has harnessed an already massive flock of users. There also is the loyal community of Android users and developers who are exploring opportunities as I write. So whatever this new division is up to, it’s definitely going to have Google written all over it. And that could be more bankable than anything else.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Google has always been a forerunner and their products too mostly centered towards comman people. It could definitely beat the likes of Fb and Microsoft in terms of VR competition in future

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need an way to travel on which path Nd tel me what are the steps that i wanted to do
Project Abstract / Summary : A program or application, by running it before one goes to sleep ,it should ask about our schedule for next day n as we enter...
Bioengineers and cognitive scientists have recently developed a portable EEG device. A team from the University of California, San Diego has developed a 64 channel helmet like EEG device that...
Taking a break from the CanvasTab range of Android tablets, Micromax has unveiled the new Fantabulet F666. The Micromax Fantabulet F666 is a departure from the home grown company’s drab...
Newest update ‘Driving mode’ for Google Maps was launched recently for Android users by Google in select countries. It predicts where the user is headed to and helps them find...