Disney Research Robots Does Juggling & Play Catch!

If you thought Disney teams only specialized in building awesome theme parks, here's how Disney research teams use their knowledge from the theme parks into excellent robotics. Disney Theme Parks are full of entertainment robots where they the catch & throw objects at the visiting guests. Taking cue from one such animatronic humanoid, Disney researchers developed test scencario for a throwing and catching game.
Using a external ASUS Xtion PRO LIVE camera system to locate balls and a Kalman filter to predict ball destination and timing. The robot's hand and joint-space are calibrated to the vision coordinate system using a least-squares technique, such that the hand can be positioned to the predicted location.

Successful catches are thrown back two and a half meters forward to the participant, and missed catches are detected to trigger suitable animations that indicate failure. Human to robot partner juggling (three ball cascade pattern, one hand for each partner) is also achieved by speeding up the catching/throwing cycle. Enough talk, check out the video now -

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to build that static electricity ball just like the one's which make hair to project outwards just like this. Is it cheaper & easy to build? Please help...
i did my B.TECH(cse) i am planning to do M.TECH. which one is better for better life 1. computer science engineering 2.computer science 3.computer networks & information security 4.information technology...
XBOX Loop (or Infinity or 720,name it whatever you want) has come up with one big change in their hardware & it is Blu-ray drive. Yeah BD ! During X360...
I am a civil engineer interested in Analysis of Civil works
Hi want to build a GPS Tracking system For my Car. It is My project . I want to build it with general purpose items .