What is your 'Discipline' Mantra?

It's often easy to say that success comes with determination and lots of hardwork. But a determined mind and hardworking brain are not enough to keep being successful in the long run. A lot of mental and physical discipline is essential for this matter.

I urge all the CEans - both young in body and young at heart - to share how they feel discipline can help lead a successful life.

1. What form of discipline would you practice on a daily basis?

2. Does alcohol and cigarettes affect your overall performance - or do they act as catalysts to enhance your productivity?

3. Does falling in love affect your focus on developing your career & thereby void your discipline?

4. How would an engineer define 'daily discipline' ?

Share your feelings openly!

Replies

• mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend
    It's often easy to say that success comes with determination and lots of hardwork. But a determined mind and hardworking brain are not enough to keep being successful in the long run. A lot of mental and physical discipline is essential for this matter.

I urge all the CEans - both young in body and young at heart - to share how they feel discipline can help lead a successful life.

1. What form of discipline would you practice on a daily basis?

2. Does alcohol and cigarettes affect your overall performance - or do they act as catalysts to enhance your productivity?

3. Does falling in love affect your focus on developing your career & thereby void your discipline?

4. How would an engineer define 'daily discipline' ?

I Think Discipline is must to have for everyone.If discipline is with us then the other things will come easily.I Don't think discipline as a separate thing.

"The one quality which sets one man apart from another,the key which lifts one to every aspiration while others are caught up in the mire of mediocrity-is not talent,formal education,nor intellectual brightness-its self discipline."

"With self discipline,all things are possible.without it,even the simplest goal can seem like the impossible dream"

-Roosevelt

• mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend

you may have your opinion on it. But that comes under other sub category. Thats called self-discipline ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    mail154
    you may have your opinion on it. But that comes under other category. Thats called self-discipline ๐Ÿ˜€

Can you differentiate between 'discipline' and 'self-discipline'? โ˜•
  • mail154
    mail154
    You Should Not be Hurting others.Thats a law -Discipline
    Though its allowed.I would not do that -self discipline
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    mail154
    You Should Not be Hurting others.Thats a law -Discipline
    Though its allowed.I would not do that -self discipline

So when you do it, it's called as "self-discipline", while the actual art is called "discipline".

Just like you are "an engineer" who is studying "engineering".

So if I ask you "Which engineering stream are you learning?" or "What kind of an engineer are you?" - doesn't both sound the same to you? Hope you got my point. โ˜•

But that comes under other category. Thats called self-discipline
    How can it come under another category?๐Ÿ˜’
  • mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend
    So when you do it, it's called as "self-discipline", while the actual art is called "discipline".

Just like you are "an engineer" who is studying "engineering".

So if I ask you "Which engineering stream are you learning?" or "What kind of an engineer are you?" - doesn't both sound the same to you? Hope you got my point. โ˜•

No..Its Not that.. discipline is two types-self imposed and others imposed. What actually we think is discipline is the one which was externally administered. the self discipline is internally administered.If the external administrator or its source is not available,the discipline would be breached immediately.That shouldn't be. If the discipline is developed in one's own then it would remain till the end.Thats the real one
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    mail154
    No..Its Not that.. discipline is two types-self imposed and others imposed. What actually we think is discipline is the one which was externally administered. the self discipline is internally administered.If the external administrator or its source is not available,the discipline would be breached immediately.That shouldn't be. If the discipline is developed in one's own then it would remain till the end.Thats the real one

Now you've made your point clear! ๐Ÿ˜€

How do you internally impose a discipline on yourself? It's hard for most people to do - but what could help in this process?

While we were kids we were externally administered discipline by our parents and teachers, and so we hopefully have got good marks and got into various colleges. But after college, when getting a job, most people often get "carried away" by the ample freedom which they get while staying away from home/ an elder's guidance. So my question is, how do you internally invoke discipline within yourself that can lead you to success?
  • mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend

How do you internally impose a discipline on yourself? It's hard for most people to do - but what could help in this process?

While we were kids we were externally administered discipline by our parents and teachers, and so we hopefully have got good marks and got into various colleges. But after college, when getting a job, most people often get "carried away" by the ample freedom which they get while staying away from home/ an elder's guidance. So my question is, how do you internally invoke discipline within yourself that can lead you to success?
    When We Understand our responsibility and the need for being there,it would automatically not let us "carried away".
  • mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend

Great to see ๐Ÿ˜€ from you. anything else?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    mail154
    Great to see ๐Ÿ˜€ from you. anything else?

Well, you're right about the fact that:-
    When We Understand our responsibility and the need for being there,it would automatically not let us "carried away".

How does this understanding come into being for someone who's changing from a teenager to become a young adult? Does the rebellious nature of the teenage often disrupt the discipline that people expect from him as a young adult?
  • mail154
    mail154
    anoopthefriend
    Well, you're right about the fact that:-

How does this understanding come into being for someone who's changing from a teenager to become a young adult? Does the rebellious nature of the teenage often disrupt the discipline that people expect from him as a young adult?

Without a doubt it should happen naturally.Then only it can termed as internally administered. We should not be rebellious irrespective of the situation. 'Causeless' rebellious nature would definitely disrupt the discipline. Sometimes the rebellious attitude we show up were because of the right reason,still the person who watched us as teenager will think it is a discipline breach. If that were the situation the person would automatically will be opposing them in the following matters. both sides of the coins should understand the problem. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    My definition is simple
    If I make my fellow team mate uncomfortable by any of my actions I am undisciplined Beware
    This answered all your queries My team has a great range of students all are different If I am not disciplined I will love a few people talking always and not all opening their mouth

That is not a good sign at all
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Conqueror
    My definition is simple

This answered all your queries My team has a great range of students all are different If I am not disciplined I will love a few people talking always and not all opening their mouth

That is not a good sign at all

Your form of discipline sounds too social. What about personal discipline (aka self discipline)? How would you invoke yourself to be disciplined even with all the freedom you get around you?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    create principles and follow it.
    Cigars and alcohol definitely hinders one's own potential.
    On love issue-its how you deal it.Some of them use it to self motivate themselves.
    "Truth alone Triumphs".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just found a HDMI to VGA adapter for RPi in element14 which you can hook up between Pi & VGA monitor. My friend don't have HDMI or DVI female...
I am trying to power my ADSL2+ modem with USB rather than adapter. Behind the modem, in the specification it's mentioned i/p : 5V DC & this is same amount...
IIM CAT is introducing online registrations for the CAT 2013. Starting August 5, 2013 interested candidates will be able to download the electronic vouchers online from the new dedicated CAT...
we have seen that many realy talented people get eliminated in the group discussion round in a hiring process.Yes I accept that it is too important for a management position...
Well, I hope most of you folks have seen my avatar on my profile page (go to my profile page and see the animation).๐Ÿ˜ Well, if some of you are...