What is WordPress used for?

I have no to little knowledge about wordpress. I have written 10-15 tutorials & projects in paper & now I am all set to create blog in Wordpress & post it one by one.

What my question is : If Wordpress can be accessed via web browser using internet, what is the need of installing it ?
What are advantages of installing wordpress ? How will it help me maintaining my blog ?

This might sound noob, but I am noob; hence I am looking for answer 😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    WordPress.org offers an open source software which you can install on your own server to run your own blog. You will be in complete control of the software, modifying it, theming it, creating add-ons and everything else. WordPress is a content management system and it just works out of the box. It offers you a nice admin control panel that lets you tweaks things for the front end and create content.

I'll recommend setting up a test server on your machine using xampp and install the latest version of WordPress to understand what it does.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A question :
    So, I have installed Wordpress in my system. And I can even login with my account details. But there is one confusion, which I need to clear out. :
    Before I installed Wordpress in my system, I already had created one page called 'Infinite Linux' in which I haven't posted anything.
    Screenshot from 2013-11-01 03:59:24

But when I use same account details & login using #-Link-Snipped-# from PC, it doesn't shows up my page i.e. 'Infinite Linux'. It shows 'abhishek's blog'.

Screenshot from 2013-11-01 04:03:54

Please educate me.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Alright, read few articles & understood everything.
    Thank you for replying & helping out. 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Good that you figured out!
    I don't have wordpress installed on my computer. I am renting out server space from Godaddy and have installed wordpress platform there. The different logins are for maintaining the server and another for managing the blog.

did u manage to migrate your blog onto the server on your machine too?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I am tryna migrate it to arkOS & will use RPi as my personal web hosting server.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# from PC, it doesn't shows up my page i.e. 'Infinite Linux'. It shows 'abhishek's blog'.
    You are in wp-admin home page not on blog.
    Click on post and then click view blog/site.
    (or try this: #-Link-Snipped-#)
    Which server manager you are using (wampServer)?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    You are in wp-admin home page not on blog.
    Click on post and then click view blog/site.
    (or try this: #-Link-Snipped-#)
    same result.
    Anyways I am moving for arkOS.

ianoop
    Which server manager you are using (wampServer)?
    LAMP.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ok, hover on left upper corner of your admin page (Your blog name) and "Visit Site".
    It must land you on actual website. I am doing this on my live site.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    In simple language

WordPress is a CMS (content management system) used to manage your content in an organised way, it may be a Personal Blog, E-commerce Website, Hobby website anything
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If anyone's looking for instructions on how to install WordPress on their local servers, please take a look here: GUIDE: Install Wordpress On Your Desktop Or Laptop "localhost".

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, When I was surfing the newspaper an article catched my eyes and I want to throw a discussion here. The news is that a school from NewZealand has...
What is the use of piston rings?
Spice Smart Flo Edge has made its appearance on the e-commerce website Saholic and it can be yours for just Rs.3299. Now from the price tag you might have guessed...
Quick look of Nexus 5 packed with Android Kitkat 4.4 One messaging app Hangout. Better Google Now Support lower end devices with 512 mb ram If anyone finds kitkat 4.4...
It is official. Google has released the latest version of its Android Platform with Android 4.4 Kitkat update. KitKat brings with it a big load of useful and interesting features....