What is better Stepper or Servo?

Hi,

I’m planning to make a robotic Arm, so would like CE's input.

What is better to use to control joints of the robotic arm, Stepper or Servo?

I’m looking for good and sturdy movements as well as good capacity for lifting, let’s say 20kg.

Thanking you in advance.

~ Ice

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Servo is obviously better to use in robotic arms because servos have internal control mechanism. So servos can give better control and precision than steppers.
  • icehari
    icehari
    silverscorpion
    Servo is obviously better to use in robotic arms because servos have internal control mechanism. So servos can give better control and precision than steppers.
    but i learnt stepper motors are very useful to make movements in steps and angular mavements..... what about that...

reply me lets make that clear...
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Stepper motors are always better they are easier control and manipulate compare to servo motors
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    20kg? Servos would work better with those types of loads. But, they are more expensive.

If I were you I'd get one a piece and do some testing 😀
  • icehari
    icehari
    ash
    20kg? Servos would work better with those types of loads. But, they are more expensive.

If I were you I'd get one a piece and do some testing 😀
    yes i agree, servo's can pull heavy loads better than stepper..
  • ice111
    ice111
    Hi,

In robotic arm, pulling heavy load will not be the only issue, it should be also precise and accurate movements also on X, Y and Z axis.

The Aquarium FISH & PLANTS online, shipping all India. people assured me that they can able to provide 17-20kg servo torque for under $75 on special order. But just for trial and error that amount is also out of reach.

So looking for precise solution either go for Servo or Stepper or make a U turn and use pneumatic, but again that will be difficult to get in India for cheap.

~ Time
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ice111
    Hi,

In robotic arm, pulling heavy load will not be the only issue, it should be also precise and accurate movements also on X, Y and Z axis.

The Aquarium FISH & PLANTS online, shipping all India. people assured me that they can able to provide 17-20kg servo torque for under $75 on special order. But just for trial and error that amount is also out of reach.

So looking for precise solution either go for Servo or Stepper or make a U turn and use pneumatic, but again that will be difficult to get in India for cheap.

~ Time
    Yep, both are accurate. However, you'll have better control with servos in some cases as they have feedback control. For steppers, you will have to assume the motor will perform with the given command. In most cases they do, but if an external factor effects the torque or angle of the stepper like a bump, then you would not get the position you require.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    but controlling a servo motor is more complex procedure compare to stepper motors,unless if the purpose is met
  • Nishan
    Nishan
    Servo.
    Dont worry.it will be ok.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    yeah servo is always good for feedback systems,if you feel servo is good then go for it.....i would like you to share the results with us and alos the roadblocks
  • vasanthmbs
    vasanthmbs
    from my knowledge servo is correct
  • momin
    momin
    I'm facing the same problem these days. steppers are much cheaper than servo motors but the torque they deliver compared to their power consumption and weight is very poor. servo motors can provide large torque at 5 or 6 V (@200mA) only and they are only 45 gr. the motor weight should concern you if you are planning to attach the motors on the joints directly (no gears or belts) then the motor at the base joint should carry the end load plus all the other joints motors and links. please lets share our designs and schematics (my manipulator is a 4 degree of freedom and I'm using stepper motors)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am not one of those unix users. i have windows machine and in attempt to learn shell scripting .. now,i found this tool uwin by AT&T which can do...
Hi to all: This is my first post and I was wandering if anyone could help me in finding the datasheet for the IC numbered: APS01B 9839k1471 I think is...
Hey guys i am a B.Tech Electrical student working on my final year project. I have decided to go with an intelligent power supply (pic controlled power supply). However, I...
a= 17 17 5 21 18 21 2 2 19 the ans is 4 9 15 15 17 6 24 0 17 i want to how this comes .
i need full Ubuntu source code....... tell me where to download ..... i know this is pen source.......