What are the materials used in 3D printing?

Curious to know what are the different types of materials used in 3D printing. I think the 3D printers have a special material that the nozzles can spray on the workbench that solidifies after some time. But then there are people who've printed flying toy planes to electric circuits as well. Is there just one material that rules the 3D printing or a whole range of it?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Now even recipes can be 3D printed.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Now even recipes can be 3D printed.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I'm not sure what am I missing. But how does this 3D printing thing work? Can you print almost anything with a 3D printer?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In another thread it was mentioned that 2 billion jobs may be lost to robotics and 3D printing by 2030, which is not far off. Machines already in service can print using (almost) regular plastic pellets. German systems are already in use for printing medical devices in special metals/alloys. Complete machines can be made by additive printing.

The system from Stratasys that I use now can print working gear and cam assemblies. Expensive and slow as of now.
  • Raj A
    Raj A
    You may like to see following links..
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Additive Manufacturing & 3D Printing Solutions | EOS

It's about 3D printing.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An interesting update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know what are the different types of materials used in 3D printing. I think the 3D printers have a special material that the nozzles can spray on the workbench that solidifies after some time. But then there are people who've printed flying toy planes to electric circuits as well. Is there just one material that rules the 3D printing or a whole range of it?
    I dont have idea about the material exactly used. But i can share my idea.
    May be POP can be used to create any 3d structure.
    Similar, In old days Stone+Hammer+Chisel. Updations are Computer+POP+Laser
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    CES 2014: 3D food printers create sweets and chocolates
    CES 2014: 3D food printers create sweets and chocolates - BBC News

The Ten Principles of 3-D Printing
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just think we're advancing towards a future that'll make teleportation possible; using human 3D printers. Don't know whether we should be worried.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    These are straws in the wind. I think that the earlier thread on 2 billion blue collars being lost to robotics and 3D printing by 2030 does not seem improbable now.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Another advance:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    HP, the well known Laser Jet printer maker (among other more important things) is jumping into 3D printing that appears radically different:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

myLIFTER is a new device and an iOS app using which anybody can lift heavy objects with ease. myLifter makes uses of Bluetooth 4.0 to communicate with iOS smart devices....
McLaren Group wants to make wiper blades obsolete by designing a new system to repel water from windscreens which is inspired from jet fighters. McLaren remained tight lipped about the...
Would it possible to select some cells in the excel randomly(not in the same column or same row) and Do case change(upper to lower or lower to upper) ??
If you're concerned about sinusoidal HDL & LDL cholesterol levels in your bloodstream, you need not visit your pathologist frequently. All you need is an iPhone and a new attachment...
A team of researchers at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) has developed a new device called WiTrack, that is a 3D motion tracking system which functions even through walls. It...