What are some great reasons to start a startup?

With out #-Link-Snipped-# becoming popular by the day, I realized that we have a great community of engineers around here who is interested in startups ecosystem.
That brings me to discuss here some topics about startups - the what, why and how of it all.

To set the dice rolling, I would like to start off with a question that at some point, everyone bugged head will think of. And that is - What are some great reasons to start a startup?
When I pondered about this question, a few reasons struck my mind that are practical, funny and some even strange.

Read on for yourself and let me know what according to you should be or could be a good reason to start your own company.

1. To create something from scratch - The feeling of building something truly valuable (a useful product) from nothing.
2. To take the bloody revenge on the people who told you suck at academics and hence won't land a job. With a startup, you will be freaking creating jobs for other people.
3. To become a king of your own time. With your startup, you get to decide your work schedule.
You can be flexible with your own hours. So, if a set 9-5 schedule doesn’t work you, then change it.

These are just some reasons from the top of my head. I would love to read your reasons. Even if you don't own a startup, share some thoughts on why you think it is a good idea to startup.

You never know, you might inspire a couple of others to start their own company. 👍

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It will be great to get some replies here.
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Following are the reasons that may be the driving force to start a startup:
    1) Be answerable to you and yourself.
    2) Only if you are interested in becoming a employer and not a employee
    3) If you have guts to take risk
  • Guneet Khanuja
    Guneet Khanuja
    #-Link-Snipped-# you mentioned most of the reasons.

Few more:
    1. Maybe if someone has the zeal to change the world.
    2. If the individual has an interest in innovation.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Apart from money..
    Encountered a problem, which solution doesn't exist or the existing one is lame. So why not provide a 100% solution.

Example: Flickr is no doubt is largest and oldest one but you can't sell your work. But with 500Px/ShutterFlock you can sell your work along with great photo-sharing. But it still missing community feature.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's a weird one!

Does the idea of "revenge" count as a great reason to start a startup? For example, if someone tells you - "You are good at nothing!" or "Do you still earn xxx amount?" or "Why couldn't you go on-site like your cousin?"

to shut all that noise up and prove that you are here to do much more than just be lame, you start a start up!
    That's a pretty good revenge for people who don't believe in you. 😁
    What do you guys think?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's a weird one!

Does the idea of "revenge" count as a great reason to start a startup? For example, if someone tells you - "You are good at nothing!" or "Do you still earn xxx amount?" or "Why couldn't you go on-site like your cousin?"

to shut all that noise up and prove that you are here to do much more than just be lame, you start a start up!
    That's a pretty good revenge for people who don't believe in you. 😁
    What do you guys think?
    This one recalls most of old films especially Rajni films where hero starts a startup and ends as a millionare but how much it is true and motivating?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    C.Balagopal IAS was a civil servant. In 1984 he decided that he would rather start up a business in the little known field of biomedical technology than be a bureaucrat. He took the technology for flexible blood bags from Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute in Trivandrum in 1986. In a little more than twenty five years he made this totally indigenous technology into the world's third largest blood bag facility by sheer hard work and stick-to-itiveness. I am proud to have been part of this, though it has been back breaking work.
    Balagopal's brush with bureaucracy is extremely well recounted in his just published book:'On a Clear Day You can see India'. Most of the incidents were known to me long back.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

It is amazing what a non technical person can achieve in a multidisciplinary engineering field.

The second start up I am involved with is the Cardiac Design Labs, the dream child of SeaBiscuit, one of our own CEans.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Deatils of the product MIRCAM can be found under Projects. He was a successful senior executive in the IT field. Bored by the routine he decided to strike out into the unknown and jumped into the Biomedical field for the emerging Telemedical Technology. This is still in the start up stage with clinical trials ongoing. Anand has done a great job from a concept to a wearble, intelligent remote cardiac monitoring system with a builtin expert system.
    Great tenacity at difficult odds. May he succeed!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    For me

1: To become a king of your own time. With your start up, you get to decide your work schedule.

Along with this I had realized with a 9-5 hrs job, one can only fulfill his basic needs, it is only though business one can meet his dreams.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The reasons may differ for every entrepreneur. For some, it's pure need and for some it may just be a way of life. If entrepreneurship is considered beyond the boundaries of business, it's something that has changed the world for ages. Entrepreneurship gives you an opportunity to make the things better or do the things the way you want.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ever wondered how human biology system can inspire the creation of better encryption systems? Well, now a revolutionary method for encrypting data has been put forward by the researchers from...
Lava Mobiles is back in news after basking in the glory of its recently launched and much talked about smartphone - The Lava Iris 503e in India. This time, the...
Along with the release of Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft is also planning to release an update for Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 during this month. Agreeing with the leaked...
Honda's long reputation for building awesome vehicles has received another feather in the cap with their latest feat in engineering of developing the world's fastest lawnmower called 'The Honda Mean...
Dell has introduced a new pair of Latitude Rugged Laptops. The Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Extreme is a convertible notebook that can be easily transformed into tablet while the Dell...