What after B.E Mechanical?

After some search I have come across this website and I hope it clears my queries.
Recently I have completed my B.E Mechanical from Pune University. In one word my engineering is a disaster. As the placement of my college is very poor so I have applied for job in a small scale company and will be joining from next month onward in Pune. The starting salary is 10k way low than I expected and because of poor academics there is also no chance in MNC's. During free time I will be joining CAD classes.
Is there any benefit of doing CAD courses side by side? Will I get opportunities in MNC's? I am planning to study further but after some work experience.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You seem to be on the right track. You already have a job but you aren't happy because of the salary you'll be getting. Your academic performance isn't very great and that makes your chances of entering the industry difficult.

There's something you must understand - the academic performance does not matter after you spend some time in the industry. You'll have to work hard to eclipse your poor academic record with your excellent performance on the job; and I see there's no option to doing this! Be happy that you've a job, which is your stepping stone to success. Keep the fire within you alive and your gross dissatisfaction; which is likely to be originated from the fact that your friends will be driving more salary than you, needs to be oriented towards making yourself 'GREAT' at the domain you're in. Stop worrying and start focusing.

I'm surprised to know that you want to study further. Are you sure you really want to do that? Unless you've this burning 'desire' to gain more knowledge, I'd recommend not opting for further education. If you are thinking that an additional degree will bring prosperity and opportunities your way - you'll have to reconsider your decision. PG studies might turn out to be harder than your BE studies and there's no great hope for those who are poor academic performers.

Why not focus on the job instead and divert all your energy into acquiring skills and being jack of all and master of some? Industry would love that kind of profile. CAD or any similar and relevant courses would be an added advantage and may make your entry to MNC easier. Give yourself 2-3 years. Think of it as your runway before you take the big leap.

PS: You're a part of the industry now. Stop thinking about your academics now. It's no longer relevant.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Thanks for your advice.
    Doing PG studies it will depend on next few years of work experience which will give me a brief idea about the area i am interested. There were factors which have lead to my poor academic performance but there won't be any excuses further.
    Regarding CAD courses can you tell some good Institutes in Kothrud, Pune.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Looks like you've left your 'deadman' days quite behind you by now. 😀

I have a friend who is in a similar situation as you. After working at his low-salary job for almost a year, he found a way of doing management studies in a way that doesn't affect his work schedule. He says, his company's policies offered him that opportunity.

Apart from what Kaustubh has said above, my only advice is to keep your eyes open and keep looking for opportunities once you are inside the company. All sorts job domain/project changing or higher studies-while earning or even job hopping in a year from now - are great ideas to get way ahead of people who get a more-than-average salary paying jobs as freshers.

I know people who are in companies and sit beside IITians, earning the exact same salary even though they didn't do well academically.

Let nothing put you down.

Also, #-Link-Snipped-#
    ^ there are plenty. Just visit the institute near your locality and see who is teaching. That should help you make a good decision.

PS: Keep us updated on what you pursue some months from now. It can be inspiring to fellow engineers.
  • Chandramouli Ghosh
    Chandramouli Ghosh
    being a mech fresher.. im stuck in some different situation!! im selected in an IT firm!! im hell bent to get into some core company!! i have 8.65 DGPA and 80 and 90+ % in prev boards!! cleared gate this year with AIR 2707 and also cleared CSIR-NET with AIR 145!! but as the campus placement in core went poor this year.. didnt get the chance to join in some core company!! could you please suggest me on how to do so??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-# . The only option you seem to have is to keep looking for the job in mechanical industry and start preparing for the GATE exam next year, if you don't get the college/course that you desire.

If that doesn't work out, you might want to look at careers that offer a mix of mechanical+computers. CAD/CAM might be one of the options. I've a few of my mechanical engineering friends who started their careers as CAD engineers and later found their own business. They're doing fantastically well within <8-10 years of overall time in the industry; with turn-over into several lakh rupees.

Keep looking for right opportunity, but be prepared to grab it with arms wide when it strikes.
  • Sanam Khan
    Sanam Khan
    There are a number of options one can consider academically after a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. You can either opt to enhance your knowledge in the same field or opt to work for some time and opt for a management degree.

Find below some options if you are considering broadening your knowledge domain in the field or relevant streams :

• Aeronautical / Aerospace Engineering
    • Automobile / Automotive Engineering
    • Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Design Engineering / Automation / Mechatronics / Thermofluids / System Engineering etc.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    So i have started working as a trainee engineer in an automation company. As for now there isnt any work load or responsibility. At the same time time i want to learn cad softwares but i dont have time for classes. Besides the classes are starting from around 25k.
    Last year i learned solidworks a little from the tutorial files till one day my hdd crashed. So do these classes provide some special material or method which tutorial or books cant provide?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bell Labs, the research arm of telecommunications device manufacturer Alcatel-Lucent have successfully demonstrated broadband data speeds at an amazing speed of 10 Gbps. Moreover, they have done so just by...
Yale University astronomers have discovered not one, not two but surprisingly seven dwarf galaxies orbiting around the area nearby M101 spiral galaxy. While probing the area surrounding the galaxy, this...
I am planning to purchase a Smartphone and MAXIMUM budget is 13K. I am very much confused between Asus Zenfone 5 and Moto G. Zenfone 5 has better Camera that...
If Xiaomi Mi3 smartphone's launch in India has been successful in capturing your attention, this news is sure to be your next pleasant surprise. The company's facebook page 'MI India'...