Van Allen Radiation Belt & Mars Mission

The space enthusiasts may already be aware of the Van Allen radiation belt that surrounds our planet Earth. It's a huge, thick layer of highly charged particles. While the Earth has two such belts, it's believed that more such belts can be temporarily created. These belts exist at an altitude of about 1000 to 60000 km above the surface of the earth. The particles trapped in the radiation are electrons and ions (mostly energetic protons). Further interesting information about these belts is available on Wiki article: Van Allen Radiation Belt .

Now the important and interesting thing about these radiation belts is that they are known to affect solar cells, ICs and sensors on the satellites. The radiation is so intense that Hubble telescope turns off its sensors if it has to remain exposed to the radiation for an extended time.

Only the moon missions so far have been the human ventures beyond the Van Allen belts. I'm wondering if the Mars mission, where humans travel to Mars will be affected by these radiation belts. If yes, what will be the degree of the radiation astronauts will be exposed to? Will they be able to survive?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: The problem I talked about has become more serious after a group of researchers have studied the effect of radiation on the astronauts. Those who are interested in reading about this, head over to: 'Cosmic rays threaten manned Mars missions' - Times of India

PS: This is one of the reasons that I continue to believe that moon landing was fake.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    "However, starting in about 2006, we observed the longest solar minimum and weakest solar activity observed in the space age," said Schwadron. These conditions brought about the highest intensities of galactic cosmic rays seen since the beginning of the space age, which have created worsening radiation hazards that potentially threaten future deep-space astronaut missions.
    I am not sure about the Mission MOON 1975. But recent erratic weather patterns and localised results of higher irradiation are eminent.

Our country itself is having issues with the weather pattern. Earlier predictable activities like onset of monsoons etc. have no become nearly unpredictable. More further the temperature and its shift has changed in the recent past compared to what it has been in 1975.

On going through the article I feel Space mission NOW is nearly impossible but not space mission in the past. They where a little clever in beating the bush though
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I am sure they had other problems to face while landing on the MOON when the solar activity was not as low. Now we have one more, and I am sure we will take care of this. We always have, this is what drives research and we always have come on top.

Besides, why should one doubt the moon landing? Sure the conspiracy theories are interesting "documentaries" to watch, with popcorn. People were alive when they landed and returned back. The world listened to the broadcast on their radios. People are living evidence it did happen.
  • Pamela White
    Pamela White

The Big problems to face while landing on the MOON is they had never went to the moon..they could never get past the van Allen belts then or now, in fact never with they sort it out  fact

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Millions of users across the world use the Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery in their phones, laptops and tablets. The problem of batteries getting overheated is a common one and pose great...
Programmerss submitted a new project: Light Emitting hand fan pen - This a very simple but sweet pen which is very helpful in rural areas where there is a problem...
As was expected, India Kawasaki Motors (IKM) has launched its two new naked street bikes named Kawasaki Z250 and Kawasaki ER-6N in the country. The much-awaited bikes are among the...
Neha@Gupta submitted a new project: solar tracking system - The main objective is to provide max electrical energy for the light appliances The main objective of this project is to...
If you own multiple Mac machines and wish to upgrade all of them to OSX 10.10 Yosemite, here's an important tip for all of you! Instead of downloading the update...