Should Facebook Be Scared Of WhatsApp?

Everybody is on Facebook. 'Almost' everybody is on WhatsApp! FB's reached its peak already and is struggling to go mobile - which is the future of computing & communications. WhatsApp already is on mobile and is rapidly gaining all the Facebook's capabilities that 'matter'. Photo sharing, instant messaging, communications and so on.

WhatsApp is already bigger than Twitter!

If Facebook doesn't control the virally growing WhatsApp, the day won't be far away when WhatsApp will take up the first place for communication replacing Email & Facebook.

I think Facebook should be scared of WhatsApp. What about you?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    WhatsApp is growing fast and may cross Facebook for number of users.

However why Facebook would scare of WhatsApp, both are different type of applications with different functionalists. A very few things are common between these two.

Starting from usage, WhatsApp can only be used with mobile, Facebook can be used on Mobile and computers both; one is social networking, another is social communication.

I have my doubts if Facebook will ever be scare of WhatsApp.

Does that make sense??

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think Facebook should be concerned about the growth of WhatsApp! Earlier, Instagram scared them and that's why they shelled out $1billion to snap that service. Why? Because photo sharing is a 'big thing' for Facebook. People go to Facebook to check out photos and if Instagram was eating their lunch, they had to do something about it.

Now WhatsApp is doing the same! How hard would it be for the company to integrate photo sharing (it already does it, I think) or form a small layer of social component on the top of what the app already offers?

I think one major driver for WhatsApp's growth would be a desktop client. But the company has denied that they'll launch a desktop client. Being fully mobile gives them rapid access to everyone - and I'm sure they'll launch a mini-version of the service for those who don't have smartphones.

There were rumors that Facebook was ready to offer ~$1 billion to WhatsApp; but the company denied the offer.

I'm quite sure that one of these apps would define the end of Facebook monopoly.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Once I installed WhatsUp app, but I realize that it exposing (may be stealing)your contacts in name of free chatting service.
    On twitter/facebook they are exposing what I gave my information on site but WhatsUp is directly sneaking in phonebook exposing not only my information but all the contacts in my phonebook.
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    Whats App is useful for known frenz....n its really interesting to share your thoughts,images n vids with group...
    but sometimes it goes irritating that you have to get connected all the time...
    Also we can not add unknown frenz whose numbers we dont know.....
    But its fact that due to smileys n quick sharing options its becoming more popular n facebook should scare this popularity in coming few days for sure....
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I don't think whatsApp is competing with FB as it's a paid service after initial free trial.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Did anyone looked at new Google+ hangout?
    added features like attaching images and lots of smiles.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    First of all, Whatsapp is surely overtaking normal SMS, so the cellular companies must be worries about it more 😛. thought they have boosted up alot of internet packs, the SMS was easy money due to low cost and high rates. for Facebook, they both are completely different things with alike features.

Whatsapp facilitates messaging, sharing media, normal small groups hangouts etc.

FAcebook has to offer is messaging, sharing VAST media limits, APPS, Groups, Pages, Advertisements, Knowledge based and commercial marketting,public scavenging, social engineering. More over Facebook is just like a Public forum just like we are, features enhanced. so they are not actually competing neck to neck but they are growing both rapidly. So whatsapp taking over facebook is not possible. People use whatsapp to share stuff but they wont get any "LIKES" on it as most of them have taken over photoraphy for same reason. Yes, it would be very cool and both retarded if facebook took over whatsapp.
  • avii
    avii
    Both are different. No point in comparing IMO.

and FB is pretty much successful social network on mobile.
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Facebook shouldn't be scared of Whatsapp until the latter comes up with a feature that would attract Facebook users away.

Fb bought Instagram because they saw their users going to Instagram to share photos and not sharing them on Facebook. This was bad news for Fb, so to turn users to their side, they bought the company for a billion dollars.

Photo sharing are of two types. One that is public and the other private. Instagram and Facebook is public, so the users who follow you or are your friends can view your photos. But on Whatsapp you send photos to only a closed group of people or individuals. So I don't think the photo sharing service of Whatsapp would concern Fb.

After Google IO, I would rather ask Should Whatsapp be scared of Hangouts (Google)!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello i am doing a final year project and can anyone pliz help me with this information. i need to know if a synchronous motor can be used for dual...
Ok folks, Many of us once, in a lifetime, always wish to try some open source stuff, (I did it too, but then unfortunately have to format.) Nevertheless, I am...
The Blackberry Messenger which caught the spark and spread like wild fire is now spreading its arms into other operating system. Whatsapp which can be used on any platform and...
sir, I need weightage for subject wise for GATE exam...... And what are the Important subjects to practice for GATE exam....? And please tell standrad books to refer for that...
The British Mobile Manufacturer Vertu has finally launched its luxury phone in India which was launched around the globe in February 2013. The company purports that their cellphones are made...