Shape Shifting Polymer Triggered By Body Temperature Can Lift 1000 Times Its Mass

Prof. Mitch Anthamatten and his team at University of Rochester have identified a new way to tune polymers so that they react to heat triggers as minor as touch of a finger. These polymers are similar to a rubber band, but they can hold the shape when stretched until they get an external trigger of body heat. In this case, this polymer can respond to temperatures as low as 35°C. And when it uncoils back, the mechanical work done is capable of lifting 1000 times the weight of the polymer.

shape-memory-polymer-rochester-university

Another finding that sets this apart from previous shape-shifting polymer researches is the measuring of mechanical work done by the polymer as it retreats to its original shape. This polymer was fabricated in a way that it stores massive amounts of elastic energy, so that when they rebound to their original shape, the work done was also massive.

When this material is stretched or cooled, small segments of the polymer group together and form rigid structures called crystallites. These crystallites are responsible for the polymer being locked in a temporary shape. And when cooled, these crystallites gave way for the polymer to shift back to the original shape. The number of such crystallites is proportional to the strength and stability of the polymer, so for the polymer to easily regain its original shape, the number of crystallites had to be controlled.

Prof. Anthamatten and graduate student Yuan Meng identified that introducing molecular linkers hindered the crystallization process significantly. By varying the number of linkers used, they were able to tune the polymer to a specific temperature at which it begins to morph to its permanent shape, ideally a little less than body temperature.

The polymer being so sensitive and specific to body temperatures will open avenues in a variety of medical researches such as artificial skin, automatic medical dispensers and sutures used to stitch up wounds and surgical incisions.

Source: Body heat triggers shape change in new type of polymer : News Center

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello World, Im trying to design a clamp on a hinge that will clamp shut with two (or one) electromagnets attracting for a set interval of time. I would like...
A team at University of California, San Diego have 3D-printed a tissue that closely mimics the human liver’s function and physiology. It might be closest we have yet come to...
Here is one more of those self improvement essays. As it appears to be a long term plan not of much use to me. https://medium.com/life-learning/how-to-invest-in-yourself-417fab1bc665#.cm0byxrof
sir i have to register for off campus i am trying from 2 days to register, but site is not supporting for me to register, today is the last day...
Project Abstract / Summary : Objective of the project: This project “Wireless Mobile phone charger" facilitates charging your mobile phone without wires or any other physical contact of your mobile...