Seagate Launches World's Thinnest 2 TB HDD In 2.5" Form Factor

Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ: STX) has announced that they're shipping world's thinnest HDD with 2TB capacity - the Spinpointâ„¢ M9T. It's just 9.5 mm thick thin and is available in 1.5 & 2 TB capacities. Dave Frankovich, who manages the product line for Samsung HDD division at Seagate informed the media that M9T has the highest areal density shipping in a single storage device. The M9T also offers an innovative design that makes it ideal for use in mainstream notebooks. Most of the mobile devices are designed to use with 9.5 mm thick HDDs and Seagate's engineers were able to pack 2 TB of data storage capacity in the tiny device.

samsung-m9t-hdd

The M9T has a SATA 6 Gb/s interface and micro-actuation that ensures a faster and more reliable HDD performance. The disk also is equipped with Seagate's NoiseGuard and SilentSeek technologies to ensure ultra-quiet operations.

Check out more about the disk on official Seagate page (link below).

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Is it just another effective method of squeezing in more in lesser space

Or is it a completely newer technology that over came the disadvantages of the previous tech of data bit writing in the disk?

No insider leak as well Wish some one can put some light about it here
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think they're optimizing on the substrates and the mechanical heads to allow packing more data keeping the overall size compact. I don't have much information about HDD manufacturing.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Fingers crossed Sir and that was really efficient engineering in this case.

Newer techs just try to improvise the older tech can't hold much longer in the current demanding environment. Lets see about any other way to pack a bit in the memory tapes

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lenovo has launched the IdeaPad Flex notebook in India today at a price tag of Rs. 42,250. Running the Windows 8 operating system, the laptop operates in dual-mode and features...
Quote: This webinar will detail the process of developing, using, designing, and deploying Community Cellular Networks; small-scale community operated telecommunication networks using OpenBTS. These networks are effectively full "telcos in...
PLEASE PROVIDE ME SOME TECHNICAL IDEA ABOUT CIM
Sony India has launched a new device called the Sony CP-V3 - a USB portable charger priced at Rs. 1,590 in the country. The portable USB charger can power your...
Intex Technologies, the Indian mobile manufacturer has launched a new smartphone in its Aqua series with Intex Aqua i6. Powered by the 1.3GHz quad-core MT6582 processor from MediaTek, which the...