RCC footing

Why is the trapezoidal shape given to a RCC footing instead of a cuboidal shape?

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    gopaldeshpande
    Why is the trapezoidal shape given to a RCC footing instead of a cuboidal shape?
    Trapezoidal shape is optimized from rectangular (or) cuboidal shape. Its not necessary to use Trapezoidal shape.
    The reason is you are considering the load angle of 45deg from the bottom of the column. So the other part are not efficient to take the load. So we neglect that part.
  • vikram ramji
    vikram ramji
    KSS manian
    Trapezoidal shape is optimized from rectangular (or) cuboidal shape. Its not necessary to use Trapezoidal shape.
    The reason is you are considering the load angle of 45deg from the bottom of the column. So the other part are not efficient to take the load. So we neglect that part.
    the shape is best suited considering the shear force and bending moments developed at the column base. trapezoidal shape gives economical results in terms of concrete qtys
    there is no major change in qtys of steel even if you design as a flat top footing

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello Ceans , I am in final year now and we need to start our project in the month of feb. Our department HOD suggested that it would be good...
Can anyone tell about a book on plumbing which contains all the smallest details of plumbing?
I am an ECE graduate not from any IIT or NIT and still seeking for a job in IT industry. I need your suggestion regarding the job profile for which...
Google has managed to patent a system that will auto generate responses for your social network interactions. The system will learn the user’s behaviour by studying his/her day to day...
Twitter, the leading social interaction platform, has officially announced that it has made its encryption system more secure and has thus safeguarded all the Twitter users from snooping attacks. Just...