rack and pinion calculations

Discussion in 'Mechanical | Automobile | Aeronautics' started by hinduja.prasad, May 10, 2009.

1. hinduja.prasad

hinduja.prasad Apprentice

hiiiiiiiiiii............

i :confused:am having problems with rack and pinion calculatons.................can ny i plsssssss give me the formula in terms of pitch of the rack and the no. of teeth
    of the pinion. i need to findout the teeth spacing on the rack and pinion........... that can help me calculate the distance moved by the rack for 1 rotation of the pinion...........
    thanx.............:p

2. Tkelly

Tkelly Certified CEan

3. hinduja.prasad

hinduja.prasad Apprentice

ok....thanx for the reply but the problem is i am using this steering and i have a particular steering ratio in my mind. and yes i also know the total rack length and dia of the pinion. so can u plsssssssss :( help find out pitch.........

4. Tkelly

Tkelly Certified CEan

There is formula for calculating the pitch, but it also requires the technical data as written earlier.

Tom
    www.indovance.com

5. zorif

zorif Certified CEan

in Rack and pinion
    first u need to know the load,to choose the module type.ie.module1,1.5 etc.higher the module more distance u will travel for one rotation of pinion.and lower the resolution will be.
    you need to have the gears technical handbook to choose the appropriate rack and pinon.give me some time i will post the gear reference manual.using which u can do the module and pitch calculations.

6. Tkelly

Tkelly Certified CEan

7. kurtdaniel

kurtdaniel Certified CEan

tnx..for this info..hope it will be completed soon.,Im gonna subscribe to this thread cause I really need a solution for my rack and pinion and other mercedes parts..:rolleyes:

8. satanas

satanas Apprentice

hi, i would like some information about " how to mount a rack and pinion in the vertical plane".. the pinion will be moving the rack, which will follow a reciprocating vertical motion.. the load is aprroximately 3 kg.. any recommendation on wat type of rack should i use?

thx beforehand..
    satanas..

9. madhukar0028

madhukar0028 Certified CEan

hi.......can someone tel me how to calculate rpm of pinion in rack pinion mechanism.........
    thanx