Physics of fightighting a traffic ticket - and pit falls in that

A physicist produced a technical paper to show that a an optical illusion can cause a traffic inspetor to think that a car was moving, though it had actually stopped on the red light. The $400 fine imposed was dismissed by the judge.
#-Link-Snipped-#
Contrast this with another physicist, who tried a similar stunt. He passed a red light without stopping. To the questioning judge, the professor explained that it was due to relativistic motion. Since he was moving towards the red light it suffered a frequency shift and appeared green. The judge accepted the explanation and waived charges. As the smirking physicist was leaving the stand, the judge recalled him. 'While you are absolved of the original charge of not stopping at the red light, the speed at which you were going to make red appear green should have been about 6000 km/sec, which is astronomically above the speed limit of 60 km/hr on that road. So you are being held for speeding'.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ^^ Lol.. That judge must have to be a physicist too!! 😛
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    2nd physicist was being over smart... but he forget the over speeding rule. 😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great explanation 😀 and the second one was being too smart!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

first we need discover a software which is fixed in mobile phone just like in a SIM . it work like a network catcher. but for this free network a...
Indecisiveness is the bane of any manager. One sympathises with the harried person faced with deadlines and bottom lines and having to choose between right and wrong. At the cost...
I am beginner to omnet..pls any one suggest me the basic tutorials regarding omnet
what is a substrate network ?difference b/w substrate network & virtual network?
Hi, m Nilutpal frm pune doin my engg. frm G.H Raisoni college of engineering. very much interested in electronics dats why i took E&TC. but facing a lot of problems...