Move over 3-D Printing, Here comes 4 D Printing

The way engineering is progressing it is difficult to know where SciFi ends and reality begins.

3D printing has made giant strides and is already posing a challenge to traditional fabrication processes. Now on the horizon is a new contender 4D printing: Self assembling parts.
From nano scale to human scale the potential is mind boggling.

Have alook at this interesting TED talk from an MITian:
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

This from Harvard University on self assembling organic structures:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I still have my own doubts about the 4th dimensions. Some say it's time some say it doesn't exist. At nano-scale; it's all beyond me. Can someone quickly sum up the 4D printing and 3D printing difference?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I still have my own doubts about the 4th dimensions. Some say it's time some say it doesn't exist. At nano-scale; it's all beyond me. Can someone quickly sum up the 4D printing and 3D printing difference?
    That is right. It is time. The objects align themselves later to become the programmed final part. Somewhat on the lines of a dna coding. I am rather hazy myself on this. They predict that architectural elements and furniture and such can be done by this process.

If proven there are major logistic and energy saving implications.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Search-giant Google has initiated rolling out its newly revamped homepage and logo, following the furbishing of Yahoo logo and Microsoft Bing search utility. The new logo is flattened and reshaped...
CEans, After receiving several complaints and reviewing each one of them, we've concluded that we need a change in the rules that apply to CEoM. Please note the changes carefully...
I was wondering if there are any startup companies in India that've been actively working in the 3D printing domain. The technology, IMHO, is still in nascent stage and is...
hello! guys computer as a digital machine work very well! can anyone explain to me how and what a the common element of computer as a system.
Every morning you wake up and log-in to your Facebook account to see what your friends are up to these days. Initially, you used to browse through all posts from...