Moto G - 4.4 Kit Kat Problems Viz. Battery Draining & Auto Airplane Mode

Looks like the Moto T team did not test the Android 4.4 firmware before releasing it to the masses. A lot of people are reporting problems with their Moto G phones after upgrading to the latest 4.4 Kit Kat. These problems vary from speedy battery drain, non-responsive camera to the phone switching to airplane mode automatically. A lot of internet forums seem to be discussing the problem. If you are a Moto G owner, it's strongly advised that you should not upgrade to android 4.4 until all the problems are fixed and a new firmware update is released.

Google's (as I read on the social media) quick fix is to uninstall the applications that use the camera on the phone. For example Skype uses camera of the phone for video calls; and if you uninstall that app - the problem is likely to go away. It's not 100% clear whether that solution has worked for everyone. I'd request you to try it out and post your observations below.

There are other problems as well - few people have began complaining of the signal dropping significantly indoors. Also for some of the people the phone shows that it's in the airplane mode, while in reality it's connected to the 2G/3G networks.

Please refrain from upgrading to the latest firmware at least for a few days. In the mean time, please share your experiences / fixes / quick work around for addressing the new problems caused by 4.4 android in Moto G phones.

Replies

• Root
    Root
    I am not surprised. Motorola is no longer an US company. It is chinese now.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I have used Moto G with latest update for almost 15-20 days and it was solid use but I have not realize the battery drain or any other functionality issue.

I may not comment 100% on battery drain as I have updated it right when I got it. But I am just going to receive replacement of Moto G so I will not do update and I will check if there is significant different in battery drain.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Root
    I am not surprised. Motorola is no longer an US company. It is chinese now.
    They are Lenovo ! But still Moto G box says 'a Google company'
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    "A Lenovo Company" won't attract buyers 😀
  • Root
    Root
    Harshad Italiya
    They are Lenovo ! But still Moto G box says 'a Google company'
    Lol...I was just kidding. Yes, I agree. I think what happened was the same thing happens when there is a tech acquisition / merger. With handover to Lenovo, there could have been some pruning in the Motorola tech force. I have no hard proof, just a WAG.
  • Pranav Khullar
    Pranav Khullar
    hey guys,I want to buy MOTO G 16gb variant should i go for it .............tell me its pros and cons.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    pvk1234
    hey guys,I want to buy MOTO G 16gb variant should i go for it .............tell me its pros and cons.
    I have moto G I'm very happy with all the feature. Just have one issue with camera pictures.
    What is your use mainly?
  • Pranav Khullar
    Pranav Khullar
    my use is taking pictures of document sending them through email,browsing facebook & using watsapp
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    pvk1234
    my use is taking pictures of document sending them through email,browsing facebook & using watsapp
    I suggest go with good camera and that is Xiaomi. I am facing some issue with moto g camera

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone clear my doubt. will the data deduplication affect cloud data availability?? cloud service providers to manage their storage they are looking for deduplicating their similar content. if they...
Hello,could you suggest any project ideas I can take under network security as a 3rd year IT student ?
I bought Asus DSL N10E, Wireless Router. I have set up it with NO security. Can anyone teach me how to secure it with password (WPA/WPA2 , WPE, whatever!) ?...
i'm going to do my college level project.so i m having some doubts abt the amplifier and its principles..so guys help me to clear my doubts.. 1.can we use an...
A team of researchers at University of Sheffield have found cheaper and efficient means of trapping solar energy with help of perovskite and spray painting fabrication process. The team of...