Minimum Diameter of the shaft

How to calculate the minimum diameter of the shaft required for a motor ?

Replies

• anik arun
    anik arun
    Shaft size is affected by torque, not horsepower. But changes in horsepower and speed affect torque.so we can say an increase in horsepower would require more torque ,decrease in rpm.
    methods:
    1) make the shaft large enough and strong enough to drive the specified load without breaking.thus we can say the minimum shaft diameter can withstand at least two times the rated torque of the motor.
    2) calculate the minimum diameter needed to control torsional deflection (twisting).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Vinod Muthukrishnan traveled across the country as the son of an Army officer with frequent transfers. Not only did he do awesome adventures but also got a chance to explore...
Can anyone guide me to design a system to pump liquid nitrogen in to the desired chamber @ 5 lit/min
Dermatologists from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) have recently devised a novel method to study cell malignancy with the help of a simple smartphone camera....
i want some journals related to pneumtics . i have searched but i didn't get a proper information so please provide some journals and it would be very much useful...
There is nothing more adorable than animals dressed in tiny outfits but this time those outfits have a serious purpose. A small flock of 10 pigeons have been dressed in...