microprocessor basics

within my start in studying the microprocessor i encountered many doubts that i couldn't really find a good explanation for it so far , would anyone clarifythese lines for me that i queted from the lectures around :

* PIC16F688
is it a microcontroller or a microprocessor ?

* 8 level deep stack ?

* pin out

is it the output of the chip or the pins of the chip ?

* Flash OTP ROM/Romless ? ,
how do those come all together in one sentence is it right or wronge ? as far as i know if i'm not mistaken flash is eeprom and can be programmed as mush as desired but when u bring otp beside it it'll be only one time programmable , is it possible to describe FLASH as OTP ? not eeprom ?

* 6 - 100 pins ?
would a chip exist with 100 pins !!! ?! what does that line stand for ?!

* 128 bytes SRAM/256 bytes eeprom . ?

hopefully the questions make sence ,

Replies

• Stephen_c
    Stephen_c
    PIC16f688 is interrupt controller... not uC or uP

8 level deep stack according to me is the stack of clock cycles

128 bit SRAM is the ram memory wher your program will be loaded for operation and the eeprom is like the place wher you will store your program and data
  • chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    pin out is simply the pin stretched from the dip chip.
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    buddy try reading and 1st complete it..with patience..in starting we face some trouble in self studing little bit
  • Codes Guides
    Codes Guides
    * PIC16F688
    is it a microcontroller or a microprocessor ?

Most people would call it a microcontroller, because it is designed to connect directly to other devices to do "real" stuff. Microprocessors are generally considered just computation engines that do calculations, but can't control anything 'real'.

* 8 level deep stack ?

In this case, the stack determines how many concurrent interrupts the chip can handle. This PIC can do 8; if it gets a 9th interrupt without clearing one of the first 8, it will 'lose' one.

* pin out

is it the output of the chip or the pins of the chip ?

Pinout is the pins of the chip.

* Flash OTP ROM/Romless ? ,
    how do those come all together in one sentence is it right or wronge ? as far as i know if i'm not mistaken flash is eeprom and can be programmed as mush as desired but when u bring otp beside it it'll be only one time programmable , is it possible to describe FLASH as OTP ? not eeprom ?

This is a description of the types of memory on the chip. They're all different. OTP and Flash are on-board program memories - OTP = one-time programmable, Flash is reprogrammable. EEPROM is reprogrammable memory used for data storage purposes; it typically has much higher endurance than flash. ROMless means that the chip has NO on-board program memory, and requires an external memory to store the program code.

* 6 - 100 pins ?
    would a chip exist with 100 pins !!! ?! what does that line stand for ?!

This is the number of pins on the package. Chips exist with over 200 pins!

* 128 bytes SRAM/256 bytes eeprom . ?

SRAM is the temporary memory used by the core to execute; SRAM is volatile and will be lost if power is lost. EEPROM is non-volatile, and is used for storage of things like calibrations, data logs, etc.

- CG
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Electrodiction Team
    Electrodiction Team
    is it a microcontroller or a microprocessor ? a microprocessor is NOT a microcontoller. a microprocessor contains register circuits, control circuits and Arithmetic and Logic Unit. But microcontroller contains memory as well. A microcontroller can consist of microprocessor as one of its vital part of the silicon chip. But both are never synonymous. It seems that you need to clear your doubts about the basic components of an IC! to get online microprocessor video tutorials
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nice necro-posting alongwith advertising your website.
    Removing the link & closing the thread.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When I posted this link to a video, the forum instantly banned me. (The Administrators restored me when I emailed them). It's a video that reminds me of the old...
Are reconfigurable hardware and Fpga the same thing. Or Fpga is just a type of reconfigurable hardware?? If yes , what are the other applications of reconfigurable hardware??
Hello friends.... I am V.Revanth😎😎😎
Please I need help on the project Ford Thunderbird Tail Lights System using LEDs. I need to understand the block diagram of the system, how each unit works, how to...
hey all aspiring entrepreneurs , kind attention please!😀 there is this book that is a must read for you people.... it is called..."stay hungry, stay foolish" by Rashmi Bansal the...