Listening To Music Is A Skill We All Lack

When people say listening to music is their hobby - they mean that they 'let the music play in the background' when the mind is busy doing something else. So listening to music when driving a car or while you do your daily chores is different than taking out time 'only to listen to music'.

Over the time, I've found out that listening to music is a skill - and 99.99% of us lack it. If you pay attention, there are so many things you can unfold while listening to a particular track - be it the lyrics, be it the flute or guitar or the bass - everything may deserve your full attention.

I'm curious to know how many of you really take out time from your busy schedules to just 'listen to music'?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am totally agreeing what K says You see being an audio engineer for the past 4 years I sort of lost the touch of truly mixing myself with music I find it real hard to relish music and reimburse myself with the words in the songs

But I can say I spend a quality amount of time doing what actually is listening to music and during that time No matter What May Come I am Not Distracted That is perfect addiction to music
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have to travel 4.5 hours daily,so either tech magazines or music is my companion.
    I am not into "music",being honest I care about "lyrics" way more than beats.Those background beats are cool but if the syllables are whack,I won't even listen it again.The party songs & fairytale love songs are good,but they never interest me -- I am very much inclined to political & social raps,moral raps,gangsta rap(don't confuse it with popping guns,smoking crack & banging hoes - It's thousand layers deeper than what ignoramus thinks)
    I listen to Acapella rap with more interest than musical raps.I listen raps because I like the way these rappers rhyme,I love the way they spill the entire story with bars.It's more than just music.

I don't know how many lives this genre has rejuvenated.It's like - If rappers like Reggie,JayZ,Pac,Biggie,Nas & Em wouldn't have stepped on earth then I might not have cultivated such a positive attitude towards life.
    Hiphop flows in every cell of my blood.

I am in 0.001% ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    4.5 hours daily? โ˜• That's a bit too much, friend.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Some good tracks are there in my list, whose lyrics and music I listen carefully.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Troll_So_Hard
    I am very much inclined to political & social raps,moral raps,gangsta rap(don't confuse it with popping guns,smoking crack & banging hoes - It's thousand layers deeper than what ignoramus thinks)
    Try Rage Against the Machines, Ministry, OTEP (All Nu Metal with nice Rap Verses) Megadeth (Typical Thrash Metal) in order to listen any Political Agenda.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Being a Rock/Metal Music fan, I preferably like to listen the Guitar Solos (those shreds and riffs). Apart from amazing Music, still there are some nice bands (like - Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Green Day, Linkin Park) which have amazing lyrics based on various themes.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Troll_So_Hard
    I listen raps because I like the way these rappers rhyme,I love the way they spill the entire story with bars.It's more than just music.

I don't know how many lives this genre has rejuvenated.It's like - If rappers like Reggie,JayZ,Pac,Biggie,Nas & Em wouldn't have stepped on earth then I might not have cultivated such a positive attitude towards life.
    Hiphop flows in every cell of my blood.
    That's the same reason why I also like Hip-Hop, apart from Rock/Metal. Actually, Hip-Hop is good culture. It has 5 different forms - MCing(Rapping), Turntablism, Graffiti, B-Boying and the most importantly, Knowledge. The core founder of Hip-Hop is Afrika Bambaataa. He was one of my favorite Hip-Hop Artist. He raps on "Peace Unity Love and Having Fun" and actually means it from the bottom of his heart. It is an interesting culture. Besides, I'm into two forms - Graffiti and MCing. ๐Ÿ˜‰

However, what's the modern mainstream Hip-Hop music is just complete sellout with zero talent. Talentless hacks like - Nicki Minaj, Flo Rida and Lil Wayne, have screwed this culture with their ugly cliches. ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Conqueror
    But I can say I spend a quality amount of time doing what actually is listening to music and during that time No matter What May Come I am Not Distracted That is perfect addiction to music
    Lucky You !!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ashbeezone
    Lucky You !!
    Why is it so friend ? any special reasons
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Conqueror
    Why is it so friend ? any special reasons
    I get a little distracted to be honest. But yeah, Everyone has its own tendency.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    4.5 hours daily? โ˜• That's a bit too much, friend.
    Only reason why sometimes I hate college.

ashbeezone
    However, what's the modern mainstream Hip-Hop music is just complete sellout with zero talent. Talentless hacks like - Nicki Minaj, Flo Rida and Lil Wayne, have screwed this culture with their ugly cliches. ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Agree on that. But still some veteran artists like Hov, Nas, Kanye & Shady are keeping mainstream interesting.

But still I feel underground rap is way way way better than mainstream rap.
    Some rappers like Mos Def & Talib kweli are living legends.
    Even new generation underground rappers like hopsin, J. Cole, Ab soul,aesop rocky & K. Dot (this guy is no longer underground) are dope.

But whatever it is I still mourn 2pac & Biggie.
    RIP Pac, Biggie & L ๐Ÿ˜ญ

90's hip hop was best, period!
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Troll_So_Hard
    But still some veteran artists like Hov, Nas, Kanye & Shady are keeping mainstream interesting.
    Kanye ?? Not anymore. Even He sold out now with autotune.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ashbeezone
    Kanye ?? Not anymore. Even He sold out now with autotune.
    Only 2 auto tunes buddy.Plus he make his own beats.
    I love his raps, even though he got big ego, his raps simply touches my heart.

Kanye's the college dropout & the latest duo with Hov- watch the throne was too deeeeeeep LP.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Troll_So_Hard
    I love his raps, even though he got big ego, his raps simply touches my heart.
    That thing could be counted good, especially when he BURNED Taylor Swift in the awards. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ashbeezone
    That thing could be counted good, especially when he BURNED Taylor Swift in the awards. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Oh yeah I still remember that line in grammy's : Hey yo yo yo Taylor, Imma let you finish but Beyonce is/was best xxxxxxxxxx of all time ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I love classical music. Carnatic, Hindustani and Western. The last is a recent acquired taste. The other two we grew up with from childhood.
    At least an hour exclusively. Difficult these days to go to a live concert in Bangalore.
    Was lucky to interact personally with many well known Indian musicians from a young age.
    Eternal regret is did not learn formally. Though name sake flautist N.Ramani was a neighbour and offered to train me.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    Troll_So_Hard
    Oh yeah I still remember that line in grammy's : Hey yo yo yo Taylor, Imma let you finish but Beyonce is/was best xxxxxxxxxx of all time ๐Ÿ˜›
    And she (Taylor Swift) deserves to be BURNED. She ain't a Country artist. Just another Teen Pop Sellout. Grammys for those silly break-up songs ?? Are your @*%$~! kidding me ?? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I just love instrumental versions of songs, that is a without lyrics.

listening to the beats is far more fun than listening to the lyrics.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have never mentioned 'listening to songs' or for that matter 'sleeping' as my hobby. ever. Always felt ridiculous. But then I met people who actually have music as a soul of their lives. And that's when I understood what an effect music can have over someone's life.

Music deserves and needs to be given attention and *special* time. Playing it in background can soothe the mood, definitely. But, that is not how you can understand the essence of it all.
  • Ashish Bardhan
    Ashish Bardhan
    AbraKaDabra
    I have never mentioned 'listening to songs' or for that matter 'sleeping' as my hobby. ever. Always felt ridiculous. But then I met people who actually have music as a soul of their lives. And that's when I understood what an effect music can have over someone's life.

Music deserves and needs to be given attention and *special* time. Playing it in background can soothe the mood, definitely. But, that is not how you can understand the essence of it all.
    Exactly ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • rina j. kadam
    rina j. kadam
    very true! listening music is not just to play a song and do something else but it is to feel and understand the lyrics and emotions behind the song which can be anyone. i like to listen mostly soulful songs and i am an huge fan of the lead singer of today and tomorrow SONU NIGAM .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've engineers from almost every engineering discipline and I think we can take up this interesting exercise - completely online! The plan is to design a perfect home! There's no...
Last year, it was widely believed that Mukesh Ambani led Reliance will launch 4G services in India and disrupt the markets with their pricing plans. However, Airtel took a lead...
Snapdeal and Mahindra have partnered to sell the 2-wheelers online. I'm not sure how many buyers will be there for online booking of 2-wheelers; but this definitely is a big...
Not only phones and tablets are shrinking in size; but the routers are following the trend as well. ASUS has introduced pocket sized wireless router, called ASUS WL-330NUL. The router...
Can Anyone explain me the working of a vapor absorption refrigeration machine? Here steam is to be used as a heat source for Chilling water.