Is your salary an indication of your self worth?

I read an article on the Internet about a person's salary being an indication of his/her self worth.

What's your take on it?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    A person's salary depends on a lot of things, which company he/she works for, his core competency, experience, so on and so forth.

I believe if you like what you, then the salary is not a major issue..
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am partially not agree with this, this depends on person to person. There may be some person who want to give preference to R & D work for knowledge seek, other may give importance to company who pay them more.

Simply it depends on person he wants to earn more money or knowledge. So personally, I do not think that salary should be an indication of the self worth.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Salary is an indication of self worth.

However, The talent , interests etc speaks after money !!!

For example take a person who is interested in doing some job in his core field and earning some 2 l.p.a. His classmate joining a software firm and luckily earning some 5 pa.

The the later person will be given high worth even if he dont have the talent as the former person.

Thats how the system works generally!!!
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    English-Scared
    Salary is an indication of self worth.

However, The talent , interests etc speaks after money !!!

For example take a person who is interested in doing some job in his core field and earning some 2 l.p.a. His classmate joining a software firm and luckily earning some 5 pa.

The the later person will be given high worth even if he dont have the talent as the former person.

Thats how the system works generally!!!
    you are right
    nowadays no one gives a damn look at your interests or talent.it always money first
    and i think that is the sad fact๐Ÿ˜”
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    I don't think a person's can be indicative of a person's self worth....

there are many intelligent people who just don't get the right break.
    but if an average person(i don't mean a dumb fellow) has all luck on his side then he can shoot up in his career.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    @ Biggi / Durga - Would love to read your view on this debatable topic ๐Ÿ˜
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    NO ,I am not agree with this point..as it varies according to person..wants to gain money or knowledge .mostly people leave their core subjects and switch to software fields due to earn handsome salary..but it also depends on person who want to remain in their interested fields and work area.

The most important is to enjoy the work... ๐Ÿ˜€.,not hectic jobs.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    cooldudeiet
    NO ,I am not agree with this point..as it varies according to person..wants to gain money or knowledge .mostly people leave their core subjects and switch to software fields due to earn handsome salary..but it also depends on person who want to remain in their interested fields and work area.

The most important is to enjoy the work... ๐Ÿ˜€.,not hectic jobs.
    Thats correct!!

But we are talking of the self worth here.

If the person working in core field and earning very less do have any value??

Absolutely not , its bad but society is like that!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question in the debate is all about personal opinion. How much I make as an employee certainly influences my feeling of how important I am to the employer and in turn influences the feeling of self worth. Note that I've used the word 'feeling'.

Salary is essentially about the money power. More money [salary] means more spending power which certainly influences individual's self worth.

That's my opinion though ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    self-worth and pay check are different .
    And depends on how one percives self growth. For some , self grwoth can be climbing higher positions in organisations and for some it might be making better good will.Both might feel they have achieved something substancially nice

So are society/communal/green jobs and white collared jobs. its ones option to choose . its very well known that community related jobs dont earn much but they give you immense satisfaction .

As far as salary being considered as status symbol, i dont think it talks self worth for all. It might for few for sure.
  • gohm
    gohm
    No, it is a reflection of the company's monetary value for your position. Self-worth is a reflection of how you feel about yourself personally. There is not enough money in the universe to equal how valuable we all are in that aspect.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I don't agree, Biggie, you already have my take on that. With your permission, I would like to post that here.

#-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    It is not. Your self worth might be influenced by external factors as salary etc but it certainly is not an indication.Your value as a person as a human being is worth much more; to be measured in mere terms of a salary. Its about how useful you can be for endeavors you choose to work on, how resourceful a person you are and could prove to be. The small successes and achievements of life boosts this feeling of self worth.
    Salary as a reward for your work, as an acknowledgement or as a token of appreciation or simply an amount for the exchange of services is okay, and should just be that. It going beyond to be linked to your self worth, defeats its purpose.
    Self-worth comes from a source on the INSIDE of us. We create it through Faith, by acting on the singular belief that we matter. There can be various acts or rewards or appreciation that help embolden this feeling, I dont think salary is one of them for me so it certainly wont be an indication.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Source: TechCrunch Very well known co-founder of Google Inc. has donated $1m to Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS), the organization that helped him migrate to the United States of America...
AirTel, India's major telecom operator has introduced twitter on phones. Now users will be able to access twitter from their Airtel powered phones and twit. What do you think?
sir, i am student of mechanical engineering 2nd year and i wish to do my training in the upcoming semester break in the field of aeronautics/aerospace. Please suggest me some...
Can I know which kind of stepper motor can be used for automating a car's steering. The car is an old rotten Maruti 800 with no power assist steering. Please...
New Self-Aligning Die Set Hi: I worked as tool and die maker for years and designed a very unique, precision, diversified, easy-to-use and time saving tool and die set. I...