Innovation In Glass Of Spectacles.

Just read nice thread by Ankita: Innovation in Umbrella Design - Suggestions Please!
Being inspired from her thread, here's another thread.

I don't have any problem in getting wet, i don't use Umbrellas or Raincoats at all. the only thing that hurts is my spectacles. The glass of the spectacles in rainy season becomes foggy & droplets on the glass makes it even hard to view any thing.

We have bulletproof glass, scratch-resistant glass, glass which can't be cut by knife, anti-glare glass. But why there are no glass which doesn't allow fog or water droplets to stay on the glass of spectacles ?

CEans, do you have any idea regarding Fog-less / Water absorbing glass ? The glass which doesn't allow fog or water to stay on the glass screen ?

Throw the suggestions below.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    NIce thread, this glass if designed can be replaced for side mirrors of the car, in rainy season its very problematic while driving as side mirrors dont have wipers.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# I have an idea for that(side mirrors in car), it is not related to the modification in glass, but a modification in the holder of side-mirror.
    Do you know anything like foam or any such thing which can clean-out the moisture & water when rubbed on glass with little bit of pressure ?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a brush or what ever people call it I dont know but which is used for floor cleaning. It is white in color which is usually used to wipe floor. That will do. What i usually do is, I have a longer one, I had made it smaller in size and i usually carry in car for cleaning. It is so handy that can be cleaned at signals. But as you told it should also be automatic 😀

There is a liquid (like colin) which can be sprinkled on the glass and should be cleaned with a cloth..

My car is relatively new one, if not i would have happily experimented on it. I didnt few experiments on my bike, I tried replacing engine with a motor thats a different topic altogether 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The requirement is, the cloth should be able to clean the glass in one wave.More than one wave & the project idea fails.
    Does your cloth cleans the glass in one single wave ?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Not that cloth, but yes that achievable the material used should be good. So if the project says that the glass should be cleaned in one wave, does it allow multiple waves one after the other at some time duration?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    English-Scared
    So if the project says that the glass should be cleaned in one wave, does it allow multiple waves one after the other at some time duration?
    Yes, there will be multiple waves in x time duration. the cloth should be capable of soaking moisture & cleaning glass even after few cleaning waves.
  • lal
    lal
    What if compressed air or atleast air from a blower can be directed at the mirror instead of cloth? That would do the trick too I guess. If it is a bit hot air, which is easily achievable in the case of vehicles, then every trace of water will be wiped out. By the way, how does wiping with cloth works? I meant the setup.

@es, that is an interesting thing you did - replacing engine with a motor. And How did it go? We would like to know more about it. How about a new thread on that?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    About that project, I have shelled out about 70K but with no result. I tried to remove the engine and run the chain with a motor. The motor initially was power by electricity (yeah direct) which turns the chain and turns the wheel. Speed control was bad and braking was instant. There are couple of more problems indeed. WIll start a new thread explaining it.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    And again , this is not a successful project, It had many open questions and lot of failures. Currently thats in dont touch me zone but i have to get ready again 😀
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Regarding the compressed air, I guess that is not a feasible option since in rains the air cannot remove most of the droplets and if the air is of high pressure then it will be a over load in the engine. The current mechanism for windshield is you have to wipe with wipers and them you can pass the air which cleans the glass very well.. but we should have something which makes very clean for side mirrors as well.

I wanted to know how this works in top end cars, since in my car if it rains heavily it effects.. tagging #-Link-Snipped-# Need more information on different kinds of cars!!
  • gohm
    gohm
    As to the first query by the OP, there are indeed lenses which have anti-fog and water dispersing properties. I don't know all the details but I would guess it is a result of special coatings on the eyeglass lenses. On cars for side mirrors, since they primarily only get water/fog on them as a result of the car parked (the lens is facing backwards and is protected) many cars either have a vent as part of the defrost HVAC cycle that sends warm air which has been dried by the AC system or some have electric heaters in them, similar to the electric defrost heaters used in rear windows. You could also treat the side mirrors with something like Rain-x occasionally.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Is the blower capable to soak the moisture in 5 seconds ? More than 5 seconds & it's almost not feasible.
    Do you know the internal of blower ? I would like to know about it & how does the blower works.
    Is it possible to develop miniature blowers, almost in half of palm size ?
  • lal
    lal
    I think there won't be a significant load on engine. Engine expells quite a lot of heat already and it won't be a tough thing to extract a bit of this expelled heat. Regarding blower, a decently powerful fan should do the work, like the ones that already exist in most cars.

By the way, something like this already seem to exist (from ghom's post above). But I was thinking of blowing the warm air directly over the mirror's surface.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Meet Rubbee - the small unit capable of turning any regular bike into a powered 'electric bike'. Ideal for those who don't want to own a full-fledged electric bike but...
Is there any Algo's for barcode geneartion???? Can we develop any Application for generation of Barcode in java Proramming language?? how??
Most of us might have heard about business tricks and business deals. A lot of family businesses have been going on over the years throughout India and the whole world,...
For Example Take CS or Chemistry. The Study Is Also Given as an Arts Degree and also as an Engineering Degree. But Why The Engineering Degree is Always Preferred? What...
Hello everybody, I am a student of 3rd year electronics engg. I wanna join gateforum for as a coaching class. but I am confused .. Is the correct time to...