Industrial (product and transportation) Design: Books on Basics of Sketching

Hi fellow CEans,

I recently completed my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I wish to pursue my Masters in Industrial Design, product and transportation design to be specific. However, because of my non-design background I have little knowledge about sketching. The sketches I draw when I want to make a visual of my ideas can be understood by a very few people. Realizing that sketching will form the base of my Industrial Design program, I wish to learn sketching in detail from the basics. I am sure that learning sketching will help me sketch more profound and informative designs with greater details. So can you people help out with a good book which takes you through the basics and intricacies of designing and sketching for Industrial Design?
Thanks

Regards

Replies

• Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Please tag people who are Industrial Designers or in a similar field. Thanks a lot. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think mechanical engineering folks would be better suited to answer your question.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I have absolutely no idea for any of the books you are looking for, but since you plan to pursue your Masters in Industrial Design, I would suggest you take a look at the N number of MOOCs from the top universities in that field, look at their syllabus where normally the instructor would suggest prerequisites and text/reference books useful for the course.
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah I am already taking 2 MOOCs from Delft University but they are more on the designing phase of the product. Sketching was covered in a small video, also there were no prerequisites mentioned at the start of the course.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Did you look at any MIT courses? Or try Yale / Stanford open courses. Their website has documents uploaded on the course page.

Alternatively, post your question on edulix. I am a big beneficiary of the support of other forum members, when I was preparing to apply for my Masters.
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    #-Link-Snipped-# Hey! Are you keen on studying the product design part ? Sketching is an art, and you can definitely learn it through regular practice. If you wish to apply for a program, you can go for it; and by the time you join the course (mid 2016) you can dedicate time to learning design. I'm not sure about the books for design; maybe you can check up with someone from NID or ISDI.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to discuss on the simple and most wanted topic i.e. to innovate something for the common people for domestic homes.
New Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BofA ML) report hints at upcoming 4G explosion in India by FY 2018. The report says that India will see upwards of 9 crore...
I have been quite desperately investigating for methods to transfer money abroad and pay merchants abroad. PayPal can be used if you gets lucky that your debit/credit card is accepted....
Hey all, Im Mohan, Right now doing my 7th sem in Ece. I dont have oppurtunities in my college to get placed in telecom companies,I dono how to search a...
The chief product officer at Facebook, Chris Cox has asked a large number of Facebook employees to ditch their iPhones in favor of Android. While this may come as a...