Indian Government Wants Blackberry Data - 'Security' Is The Reason

Indian Government isn't ready to take a step back and allow the Canadian phone giant Blackberry to operate in its own way. Indian Government has made it clear that if Blackberry wants to operate in India, they'll have to let the Government officials to access the communication data on Blackberry's servers; which Blackberry isn't ready for. If you are a Blackberry user who thought no one in the world would ever know what you communicated through your IM, then be ready for the shocker. Central security agencies are now preparing to take over the control of Blackberry's infrastructure in Mumbai, India to test an interception solution offered by Blackberry themselves. That means, authorised security agencies in India will soon be able to figure out who said what, to whom, when, where and why.

blackberry

Blackberry had been reluctant in sharing the information of their users with Indian officials. However, the company has now decided to comply with all the security related norms laid out by Indian officials and has allowed the officials to intercept all the communication happening through their servers. Moreover, the interception will be in real time, giving government 'as required' access to Blackberry user data.

The security agencies found out that the email attachments which were being dispatched over the BB Internet services could not be downloaded. The Indian Government officials have reportedly been negotiating with Blackberry to have a list of all the PIN (aka Personal Identity Number) and associated International Mobile Equipment Identification (IMEI) number, so that suspicious users can be tracked globally.

India remains an important market for Blackberry to let go of their presence because of security related policies the company has set. Blackberry had earlier agreed to setup all their servers in India to comply with the requirements of Indian Government.

We however are surprised to see how Government is dealing with Blackberry. One may argue that it's justified because it may have implications on national security. However, there are several ways communication can happen which Government is unable to control.

We'd like to ask our users their opinion whether Indian Government is justified in demanding all of Blackberry's user data? What do you think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Do you see the comments? Please try commenting.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I am one of those 'retards' that still uses BB. And the thing is rock-stable, whatever else it might be. You know, sometimes it's cool to be retro.

As for the Indian Government demanding user data from BB, it is an evil invasion of privacy to be sure. I look forward to the days of P2P mobile phones, when origin of data would be impossible to track.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    I look forward to the days of P2P mobile phones, when origin of data would be impossible to track.
    Not really, you'd still be hooked on to networks and I'm thinking tracking would be possible. How do you envision security in such a scenario?

I'm not supporting Government's stand on asking for BB Pins because there are several other ways communication can happen that is difficult to trace.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I wasn't thinking hooking up to some ISP and using some app like Viber.. I was thinking True P2P. Say you have a cellphone and other people in your 'hood have the same. All your phones act as personal hotspots and connect to every other phone in your locality, and their phones connect to the phones in the next hood and so on... and so on. Until the whole world is literally connected. It would be difficult to trace any data in that case.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi ceans ,whenever i boot my laptop i receive an error message saying tfght is compressed .i don't have the installation disk nor do i have the recovery disk ....
I am Register for Asst. Central Intelligent Officer Exam can anybody give some details about that exam.......!
Why The Generator Rating Is In kVA & Of Motor In kW??
Lava international, one of the budget tablet makers in India has launched brand new eTab Connect Z7C tablet at an attractive price of Rs. 9499. The tablet features a 7"...
hello dear engineer buddies , i want to know about the scope of MS from Bits Pilani or any other universities in India ?