How water vapour is present in air at room temperature

we say humidity that is water content in air ..... that is water in vapour stage in air .......my question is how water can be in vapour state at room temperature

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    gdchethan
    we say humidity that is water content in air ..... that is water in vapour stage in air .......my question is how water can be in vapour state at room temperature
    Some molecules ( which are at the surface of ,say a glass of water), may randomly take away energy of neighboring molecules due to collisions, and may escape as water vapor.😘, this is how I think it happens.
  • gdchethan
    gdchethan
    yeah water evaporates thats right but how can water remain at vapor state at room temperature
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Evaporation is different from boiling.It occurs at any temperature until our environment reaches saturation.Water from Oceans,rivers (etc) and even clouds continuously evaporates and thus vapours in atmosphere.Concept of evaporation is already explained by #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A substance can be in one or more of three states - solid, liquid and vapour at any given temperature. There is one point called triple point at which all three states can be in equilibrium.
    Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules. In any large collection of molecules there will be some molecules that have a high kinetic energy. When this is more than the cohesive force between molecules in the solid or liquid states such molecules can escape into the gas phase.

If ice is kept in a closed container at a temperature below 0 degC, some molecules escape and be a vapour without any liquid water being there!

If you check your fridge you will notice that vegetables dry up if left open long.

Incidentally that is how freeze drying is done.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which are the best book on basic concept and fundamental of suspension system and design in racing vehicle and advance suspension system and design in racing vehicle.?
After 9 years, the first & foremost Ubuntu bug : "Microsoft has a majority market share" is been marked as "Fixed" by Mark Shuttleworth. Here's what 1834th comment on Ubuntu...
CAN any body help me to know if either ipv4 will be replaced by ipv6 or ipv4 just remains and ipv6 will be just like an extension, without effecting the...
Hi, In Netbeans IDE, I have to run multiple java files with arguments in each and all the files should be in a single project. Can any one please help...
Hello, My current project involves storing of around 30 values in the PIC.. I want to retrieve these values through serial port when an application in my computer asks for...