How to start 8051 programming?

hello CEs,
I want to do simple programming on 8051 processor, can anyone suggest me what are the instrument i need to purchase and how to start programming.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    RAJ KUMAR JANGRE
    hello CEs,
    I want to do simple programming on 8051 processor, can anyone suggest me what are the instrument i need to purchase and how to start programming.
    For simple programming, no need to waste money in hardware. Simple download emulator/IDE (#-Link-Snipped-# or Keil), pick up #-Link-Snipped-# & begin coding.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Abhishek is right. Emulators is the best way to start.
    And Mazidi seems to be the top-favorite for beginners. 👍

If you are really starting out from absolute scratch, this PDF should help you -
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • RAJ KUMAR JANGRE
    RAJ KUMAR JANGRE
    thanks for replies.
    I will read it first. If I found any difficulties then i will come back to you,
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# as #-Link-Snipped-# said start with emulator and you will get idea about how to write basic code. And I think you can also ask in college if they have some hardware kits based on 8051 then you can learn how to write program in KEIL and then start hands-on actual hardware.
  • a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Hello Mate,
    First of all I would like to correct you, 8051 is not a processor its a controller. Already you have got good and helpful replies, one more option i would like to suggest n i.e. you can use Keil for compilation of the code and Proteus for simulation of the code. Once you get hands on 8051 coding then you can upgrade yourself to actual hardware.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    Hi Rajkumar
    Already you have got many of the suggestions and solutions.
    I just want to give some points about them. Mazidi is good text to refer for learning the coding of 8051 Micro-controller.
    If you are using MCU 8051 IDE then you have to program with HEX code itself. And while using JUMP instructions you will have to calculate the distance of the memory to be jumped and the code that you are using for the purpose and its scope. So, if you are some what good in C programming yhen it is preferable to KEil as it will generate the HEX code from the C program you have written. Also you will be having the option to burn the program to the so called micro-controller.
  • Ramesh_Kumar
    Ramesh_Kumar
    Good suggestions above, my advice for the beginners is Keil compiler is user friendly and efficient. after you do practice codes on keil compiler and cheking output on any simulator like Proteus, if you wish to go for hardware to check your codes and do new experiments, go for Atmel 89c51 its a simple 8051uC. But you need additional programmer to dump hex file into the controller a costly affair.. There is another controller from Philips(NXP Semi) P89v51rd2 which was also easy to do simple coding experiments which do not need external programmmers. you can directly dump the Hex file using its onchip Programmable capability with RS-232 serial interface by this you can prepare your own practicing kit in a very low cost. I am attaching the kit schematic i have designed and all the components are referenced with values. all are very basic components and its very easy and excited task to build your own basic programming kit your own in a very minimal cost. using a RS-232 serial cable you can simply plug your board to our PC and directly dump programs with no risks and no time waste.
    NXP (founded by Philips) P89V51RD2 -link for more details about the chip. If anybody interested in Basic learnings of Microcontroller hardware and coding, i will post some more tutorials according to my knowledge and experiance.
    Thank you...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mahindra & Mahindra motorcycles segment has got a new stylish addition today with the launch of its Mahindra Centuro Rockstar, a 110cc bike priced at (ex-showroom) Rs. 43,700. The two...
Hi all I heard that it was announced in the auto expo 2014 that UM is going to launch their bikes in India in September 2014. Has anybody here heard...
Can you please rectify error in this program. I am not getting output of last three cout statements. #include #include using namespace std; float vel (float, float); int...
The amount of visual data is growing and it is growing fast. How fast? See for yourself: Facebook users upload 350 million new photos each day (Business Insider) Snapchat sees...
Quote: The phenomenon of 3-D printing is allowing medical device makers to do amazing things, as showcased by the recent FDA approval of the first 3-D printed facial implant. But...